What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flap ribs

rwarre

Well Known Member
The plans say that all flanges face left on the 7a flaps. On the right flap I cannot match the skin holes to rib if they all face left. Anyone encounter this error? Thanks

On most stuff if they show you a left part on the prints, you have to mirror it all to make a right part and vise versa....

Flap Ribs

My plans only call for the F-705 ribs (the four short ones in the middle of each flap) to face left.

The outboard ribs are F-704-L (face left) for the left flap and F-704-R (face right) for the right flap.

The tooling holes for all of these are closer to the bottom flange.

Mike

plan instructions

Thanks for the input. The plans clearly say that for both right and left flaps, the flanges face to the left. This has got to be an error in the plans. I'll call Vans peace of mind. Thanks again.

Thanks for the input. The plans clearly say that for both right and left flaps, the flanges face to the left. This has got to be an error in the plans. I'll call Vans peace of mind. Thanks again.

Be sure and post their response. The plans most definitely say "All flanges face left on both the right and left flap assemblies."

Interestingly, we noted an angular measurement that was on the plans for my neighbor's RV-8, but not on the plans (that we could find) for the -7...his plans clearly showed certain angles for the flap forward spar-to-flanges. We noticed this because the top flange was off a bit on mine, which would have caused a "dip" in the skin (possibly due to dimpling the spar). A little tweaking with the seaming pliers fixed it, but...why aren't those dimensions on the -7 plans? Oh, well...

flap rib flanges

I called Vans and although the tech didn't have the exact plans said that the right flap should be different from the left. At least for the inboard and outboard ribs. I don't think it matters for the middle ribs. Since the skins are prepunched, it is pretty easy to get the flanges pointed the right direction and the tooling holes correctly positioned. (down)

Improved plans

On most stuff if they show you a left part on the prints, you have to mirror it all to make a right part and vise versa....

Another major improvement over the -6 and earlier plans...:)

gil A

...who, working late a night, made two left flaps...:eek:

Back