What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap questions

Scott_F

A couple of questions as I'm working on the flaps....

1. I assume since the manual doesn't state otherwise, that bolts through the phenolic bearing blocks get torqued the same way any other bolt would. Should I be concerned about deforming the blocks or pinching the torque tube too tight? (same for the rudder pedals).

2. The plans call for drilling a small safety wire hole at an angle through the end of the flap actuator to keep the jam nut from coming loose. This seems to hold a large potential for me to goon it up, and I was wondering if lock-tite and regular inspection wouldn't do just as well.

Thanks,
-s

Check out this link

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=52353&highlight=flap+safety+wire

for the safety wire issue. I like Steve's solution (drilling a hole through the lower heim joint), but I may yet decide to just drill through the bottom of the black rod and the joint and install a roll pin.

On the plastic joints, it is indeed easy to torque them too tight. Snug them down just to the point where there is still no binding in the torque tube. Don't forget the washers installed between the upper and lower split blocks.

Flap Actuator Drilling

FWIW, I worried about drilling the flap actuator safety wire hole and it turned out to be one of the easiest holes I drilled on the plane. Used a new 1/16" bit in my cordless drill.

Good luck,
Mike

Thanks for the replies.

Mike - you were right, a non-event. I used an .040 bit in the Dremel - no problem.

Terry - I see the washers called out for the rudder pedal split block, but not for the flap split block. Did I miss something?

-s

Back