What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Positioning System

paul330

Well Known Member
I am about to ordrer my fuselage kit and need to decide on the flap system. I want a stick top control and know that you need an extra relay to make that work. However, I am thinking about the flap positioning system with presets as an option - can that be controlled from the sticktop with the mini-switch? Do you need any extra hardware? Any other thoughts or tips?

A simple system is to mark the exposed leading edge of the flap (chafing tape) approximately in the middle that you can see from your pilot position. I marked mine in 4 equally spaced lines appoximately 2 inches long. Good luck.
Randy

I had seen that but VANS do an option which was what I was interested in. The after market product is probably superior but since it's not a VANS option, the UK system means we have to submit it as a mod with all the inherent paperwork, proof of airworthiness and general nausea! :eek:

I am about to ordrer my fuselage kit and need to decide on the flap system. I want a stick top control and know that you need an extra relay to make that work. However, I am thinking about the flap positioning system with presets as an option - can that be controlled from the sticktop with the mini-switch? Do you need any extra hardware? Any other thoughts or tips?

I recommend the switch is located near your throttle handle. You only touch the switch a max of 3-4 times for the whole flight. (maybe after takeoff, and when landing). Your hand in on the throttle a good portion of that time when landing and the switch is close. Other than that, the switch is left alone. Less chance of activating a flap motor while in cruise.

I have an autopilot switch on the stick. I've noticed that everynow and then, I've accidently turned off my AP. I wouldn't want to accidently activate the flaps in flight.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck.

I had seen that but VANS do an option which was what I was interested in. The after market product is probably superior but since it's not a VANS option, the UK system means we have to submit it as a mod with all the inherent paperwork, proof of airworthiness and general nausea! :eek:

You can purchase the Aircraft Extras FPS through Van's. (http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?ident=1237736360-434-198&browse=new&product=reflex)

Does that assist in getting around the airworthiness issues in the UK?

I recommend the switch is located near your throttle handle. You only touch the switch a max of 3-4 times for the whole flight. (maybe after takeoff, and when landing). Your hand in on the throttle a good portion of that time when landing and the switch is close. Other than that, the switch is left alone. Less chance of activating a flap motor while in cruise.

I have an autopilot switch on the stick. I've noticed that everynow and then, I've accidently turned off my AP. I wouldn't want to accidently activate the flaps in flight.

I went through this exact thought process, and ended up (boy am I glad!) centering the FPS switch just above the throttle on the panel for just that reason, with the boost pump just to the left of it, allowing you to turn it on/off without taking your hand off the throtttle. After discussions with Stein, the FPS flap switch (and boost pump switch) are going in exactly the same places on the RV-10 we're building, not on the stick.

Good Gen

Thanks for the input guys.

Yes, since the AircraftExtras unit is offered as an accessory in the VANS catalogue it avoids the need for a mod application. Looks like the way to go and the comments concerning the position of the flap switch make a lot of sense.

Could do with the US$ getting a bit weaker again before ordering! :eek:

Back