What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Position System

I've installed a Ray-Allen POS-12 indicator linked to the flap torque tube mechanism, with inputs to a Dynon/VPX system. Didn't use the Van's FPS system, but have the standard Van's actuator and switch. Lot's of ways to skin this cat nowadays, but I think as I was going dynon/VPX from early days, just getting the POS-12 was about the only extra I needed.

this is something I'm curious about..... the options

I learned to fly in Cessna, mostly the later model planes that have the indexed switch with indicator built in...the kind with actual notches....slap it down to the first notch for 10 degrees. You can set it without looking, hands back on the controls NOW.
Later I've flown most of the other common types of controls too....johnson bar (which depending on how it's done I might even like better for it's speed and simplicity), and of course the momentary switch.

The momentary thing I have a strong dislike of..... not a big deal really I know but I hate having to hold the switch when I'd rather get my hand back on some other control.... & I never really liked the lack of precision.......one one thousand..... is that really 10 degrees???

I guess this is one of the many "options" that a person can't really know up front what's in the kit vs what I can or want to delete from the order to do something else instead.

I use it.

I have it installed in my RV7. I bought it after flying a couple of different RV’s, one with just momentary switch, and the other with the FPS.
Much easier, especially when doing circuits.

Flap position solution with G3X

To add a related question to this thread, I also have an RV9A with the original Van's flap actuator and no flap position sensor. I'm planning to install new avionics including a G3X touch PFD.

Question: to add a flap position sensor ability, would it be better to install a separate flap position sensor and keep the original Van's flap actuator as is (it's currently working fine), or install a PH actuator which would give the flap position capability as well as an upgrade to the actuator itself? Not sure which option makes more sense...

Many thanks!

... Is the flap position system sold by Van's what is typically used by people these days, or are there other options I should consider?...

Another Option - Show Planes Flap Position System

Looks nearly identical to the system Van's sells.

FPS SP.png FPS Van's.jpg

I have the same system that Vans sells. I think it is a great addition because I don’t have to turn your head to check the flap position especially in the pattern, and the flap positions are supposed to be consistent at every activation. Functionally, it’s similarly in concept to the Cherokee or C172.

What I did (RV-4)

I built my -4 using the standard Vans actuator and used the MAC series multi function stick grip with momentary pushbuttons for control. I installed the MAC position indicator system with panel mounted indicator ( I have 3..Flaps,elevator trim, aileron trim). In hind sight for my personal opinion after 12 years of flying it, I would have abandoned all the flap and trim indicators, as everything is in plane view while looking out the canopy. I dont do much night flying, so there would be benefit there. I seldom use anything but full flaps in the pattern when entering base leg, and best T/O performance is a match with down aileron. When flying slow formation with Cubs and such, I just bump in what feels comfortable. I dislike looking at the panel for items that aren't really a need, and with the stick mounted flap buttons, there Isn't even a switch to reach for. HOTAS is the way to go..at least for me. Ironically, mentioning PH actuators, Pat Hatch gave me my first RV-4 ride in the early 90's and his manual flap lever was in my left foot..electrics weren't an option then.

Remember it well, Bill! Especially enjoyed landing on your grass strip. Gratifying that you ended up building your plane there. I figured you probably knew a thing or two about sheet metal work. Those were the days, right?

PH System and G3X - VP

To add a related question to this thread, I also have an RV9A with the original Van's flap actuator and no flap position sensor. I'm planning to install new avionics including a G3X touch PFD.

Question: to add a flap position sensor ability, would it be better to install a separate flap position sensor and keep the original Van's flap actuator as is (it's currently working fine), or install a PH actuator which would give the flap position capability as well as an upgrade to the actuator itself? Not sure which option makes more sense...

Many thanks!

Mike,
I had the Vans system and I could not get it to work with my Vertical Power system and the G3X. I knew about the oil issues with the stock system so I emailed Pat. He assured me we could get my system working with his motor. It was an easy modification to mount the new motor. I needed some help with configuring and he was able to walk me through it and now I have over 220 hours with zero problems. It was a good change for me.

I had installed FPS-Plus and loved it. As far as I know, it is the only FPS that can also adjust your elevator trim based on your flap position AND have a separate momentary switch that works like a standard flap that has no presets.
https://www.aircraftextras.com/FPS-Plus.htm

With the momentary switch installed, it also act as a redundant system just in case the FPS-Plus goes south. But mine has been in operation since 2008 and never had any issues.

Remember it well, Bill! Especially enjoyed landing on your grass strip. Gratifying that you ended up building your plane there. I figured you probably knew a thing or two about sheet metal work. Those were the days, right?
Gday Pat, been told to contact you about the RV4 flap actuator and relay mate, do you knaoypart numbers or where to get them mate?
Cheers

I like having a position sensor because it allows me to install an OnSpeed AOA system which uses it.

If someone is interested in a Show Planes Flap Positioning System I have one I'll sell. It is new.
I just checked on their website and it shows $245 and its out of stock.
$215 and you pay the shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_20240409_103810507.jpg
    IMG_20240409_103810507.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20240409_103644750.jpg
    IMG_20240409_103644750.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
You may consider a simple system, where you just mark your left flap at 10,20 and 30 deg spots and look out-to the left flap to see how many degrees you have. I have my Dynon Skyview indicating my flap position, but also have my flaps with 10,20,40 marks . I find looking out at the leftflap position convenient for me. I mark my flap levels using thin slices of black stick on vinyl , so there is no permanent paint damage.

Having flown my RV8 with this system installed, I really like the utility of triggering the flap and knowing it will traverse to the set position. With the position sensor, I could see the flap position on my EFIS. I also have the indicators vinyl sticker on the flap but they are used to confirm the flap position instead of me watching the flap movement during the critical landing phase.

If someone is interested in a Show Planes Flap Positioning System I have one I'll sell. It is new.
I just checked on their website and it shows $245 and its out of stock.
$215 and you pay the shipping.
Does the show planes system give info to G3X, ie flap positions on the screen?

Back