What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap motor problem..

ccsmith51

Well Known Member
I have an RV-4 with electric flaps. Upon landing today I tried to raise them and the flap CB blew. I reset it and it blew again.

I taxied back to the hangar and pulled the floor panels. I looked at the top of the motor and could see the shaft spin a couple of times, then the CB would pop.

I removed the assembly and removed the motor from the actuator. It is a Pittman. There is a LOT of grease in the area where the motor inserts into the actuator.

I dismantled the motor per instructions on another thread. There was no grease on the commutator and the brushes looked good. I reassembled the motor and the shaft spun freely.

I reattached the motor to the drive assembly and clamped it in a vise and applied voltage. The motor spun and drove the actuator, but would bog down and stop. If I removed voltage and reapplied it, it would start again, but then bind up and stop.

I thought about biting the bullet and replacing the motor and actuator, but the prices for a complete flap system are very high, and I expect that the motor and actuator are a good portion of it.

So, before I plop down a few hundred bucks for new parts can anyone give me some things to check to see if this system can be salvaged?

Thanks,

Sounds like you have a good motor but a bad actuator. I would call Usher on Monday and see if they would sell you just the actuator. They are usually pretty accommodating but I'm not sure if they have the actuator as a spare part, but who knows until you ask. I know they have other parts that they sell, so maybe. Good luck!

Flap acutators are a problem many of have run into, and many more will run into them in the future.

The contact info that Pat posted is now copied and pasted into an email I sent myself, and now resides in my RV 10 folder in my email. Easier to find that way.

This thread has been moved to the "ongoing maint issues" forum, so otherw can find it in the future.

Back