What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap motor - current draw

kai

Hi,

I?m just planning a complete rewiring and modification of the electrical and avionics system of our used RV-9A.
For that I have to do a load analysis for the electrical system.
Can anyone tell me the current draw of the flap motor?

Thanks!

Offhand, I can't tell you the current draw but I use a 7.5A breaker for my flaps and it's worked fine for 3+ years. I'm sure I researched the correct breaker before I installed it.

I think 3.5 Amps is what I came up with during a test with simulated air load. I have a 5A ATO fuse on it with 22.4 hours problem free.

You can search the forums to find some interesting threads about flap motor current draw.

This one was quite interesting and might help you.

Happy New Year

Planned for 7.5a

While 5a seems to work for most, I also simulated, and would get 3.5-3.8a running loaded (depending on temp) but would occasionally see 4.5a on startup loaded (one down position to next downward position). I went 7.5a and wired accordingly. I'm using the direct acting switch supplied with the kit.

Other threads noted have discussions re: issues at 5a long-term.

Remember, a CB is a shunt(thermally triggered), a shunt is essentially a resistor in series with your circuit. If you can size up, voltage drop across the CB at the same amperage is nominally less. If it matters, I dunno, but good practice and all of that.

Rick 90432

Thanks to all for the infos, that helps!

I think 5A is too small. Normally you should limit a CB at 80%. So that you should calculate with 4A max. When the amps go to 4.5 during motor start and then down to 3.5 to 3.8 it is a little bit too small. I will take a 7.5A CB and a AWG16 wire. That should be ok.
We have enough power in our RV. We will remove the 35A Alternator and install a 60A.

Happy new year from germany,

Kai.

Thanks to all for the infos, that helps!

I think 5A is too small. Normally you should limit a CB at 80%. So that you should calculate with 4A max. When the amps go to 4.5 during motor start and then down to 3.5 to 3.8 it is a little bit too small. I will take a 7.5A CB and a AWG16 wire. That should be ok.
We have enough power in our RV. We will remove the 35A Alternator and install a 60A.

Happy new year from germany,

Kai.

Welcome to VAF Kai. I have just noticed this is your second post on the Forum.

Frohes Neues Jahr aus der Schweiz!

Several threads out there where the 5 amp breakers occasionally tripped. Replaced with the 7.5 amp and problem solved. 180 hours and no issues with the 7.5 amp breaker.

@Anthony

Thank you very much. Yes, I?m new to the forum, we just bought a used RV-9A in the US and we will start to modify it. I?m sure i will post a lot more...

Und dir auch ein fr?hliches neues Jahr!

Back