What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap motor actuator rod clearance question...

cacflyer

Friend
Vans says to center the flap motor actuator arm when installing the bracket for the rod end bearing, which I have done. I am thinking it is best the have the flap motor as high as practical to allow for full travel when lowering the flaps. The problem I have is the actuator rod starts to contact the front of the hole about a quarter way down when lowering.

Is it common to have to enlarge the hole the actuator rod passes through? This seems easy enough, but as I think this will be quite visible I need assurance before I start cutting!

Normal ops

That is the way it works...normal, normal. It seemed excessive to me, but I did what others have and it worked out fine. I had to cut into the 90 degree angle some too, which I wasn't real crazy about. But, everybody does it. Once you're finished with the project, it's not as big of a hole as when you're staring at it and making the hole (if that makes sense). Dave

Last edited:
The hole won't be that visible once you put the flap fairing on. Nobody knows that until they get that far....

Paul

Back