What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap lower skin inboard cracks

Gash

Well Known Member
My left flap lower skin is cracking at the aft inboard corner and also along the first line of inboard lower flap skin rivets. I guess I have a vibration issue, but I haven't felt anything in flight, and no abnormal control characteristics with flaps up or down. I have about 320 hours on my RV-8 now.

A search on VAF didn't find anything related on the topic (not saying it's not here somewhere...perhaps I'm using the wrong search terms). I'm wondering if I should repair the sheet metal with a patch or rebuild a new flap. I would love to avoid a full rebuild, of course.

Has anybody else had this cracking issue and what did you do about it? I would also like to find and solve the underlying cause to avoid future cracking after the repair.

I'll get some pictures when I get back to the hangar in a couple days.

Gash,
Sorry to hear about the crack. I have an 8 with just about 300 hours and do not have any cracks in this area. I did bend the most inboard portions of the flap upward to fit flush with the fuselage. I have not heard of any other occurrences of cracks in this area on the -8 or other RVs. Your speculation of the crack being vibration induced is exactly what I was thinking. Did you check with Vans on this?

Post a pic when you can.

Back