What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap indicator error

mikefox

Well Known Member
Patron
This is in a 12iS with dual Garmin g3x screens. The flap indicator will sometimes work perfectly, other times have a red x and might or might not come back before the end of the flight or the pointer will randomly go up or down and I look out at the flaperon which isn’t moving at all.

I usually ignore the indicator which does work well as a fix.

And note that the flaperon switch works perfectly every time.

Any thoughts on what I should look for?

There are three wires coming from the EMS unit to the flap motor.. +5v, sense, ground. One of them has an intermittent connection.

I suggest you remove some panels to give yourself access to the wires from the EMS, down the center channel, and under the cupholder.. Turn the G3X on and watch the flap indication.. Start jiggling some wires until you narrow in on the location. Its a 3-conductor conductor labeled C7145 going to pin 28 and 29 on the EMS. However, one of the wires (white) goes to a splice, then to pin 4&15 of the EMS (EMS supplies +5 volts).

The splice has 5 wires in it and I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't soldered fully. You MAY see fluctuations in the fuel pressure as well.

Back