What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

flap hole problem

koda2

Well Known Member
Okay,

After following the instruction manual and drilling a hole for the flap rod and then elongating it to allow for full flap travel, I ended up with this:

flaphole1.jpg

What should I do now?

A) Nothing

B) Add rivets (in yellow) to restore strength to the rivet line

C) Drill out the rivets in red, add a small doubler and replace rivets as needed

flaphole3.jpg

Dave A.
6A build

They all look about like that. Kind of sad to take all the time to build a beautiful fuselage and hack two holes in it, but that's par for the course.

Strange shape nut maybe I allowed more space

I would make sure there is clearance around the actuator rods over the full range of travel (the loads will be different in flight) add the yellow rivets, reform that curled up edge and "breakl all sharp edges" (debur).

Bob Axsom

Strange shape but maybe I allowed more space

I would make sure there is clearance around the actuator rods over the full range of travel (the loads will be different in flight) add the yellow rivets, reform that curled up edge and "break all sharp edges" (debur).

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Yep! That's an RV! Clean up the holes a little, de-burr, maybe add a rivet or two in the places you indicated, and move on! It's going to be a blast to fly!:D

doubler

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I went ahead and drilled the extra holes and enlarged the opening to hopefully allow for any variances in flight. This ended up taking out the two rivets close the hole so it got bigger again.

I finally decided to try and make a little doubler as well. Overkill maybe but it looks better and the vertical flange is now back in place.

flapholedoubler.jpg

Dave A.
6A build

Thank you

I am looking at this task right now. Thank you for posting this, it will make this easier.

Back