What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Hinge

Jetcowboy

I ran across someone's web log that had an excellent description of the flap hinge installation. He/she had installed temp rivets on the skin/brace while aligning the flap hinge for drilling.

I began to use their technique and moved on to another urgent project. Now I would like to complete the task and for the life of me, I can't find their site and wonderful description of the procedure.

Anyone out there have a clue????

Just did this last month. I put a few "oops" rivets through the flap brace holes, protruding out through the skin. (the factory rivet head between the flap brace and the flap hinge). This kept the brace and skin aligned while I clamped on and match drilled the hinge. Didn't set the rivets at all, just used them like dowel pins. After all the remaining holes were match drilled, I pulled out the alignment rivets, clecoed things back together, and drilled the holes previously occupied by the alignment rivets. I used the "oops" rivets so that the smaller head would introduce less of a bulge between the flap hinge and the flap brace. Worked great, everything lined up. Got the idea from the previous thread you refered to.

Jetcowboy said:
I ran across someone's web log that had an excellent description of the flap hinge installation. He/she had installed temp rivets on the skin/brace while aligning the flap hinge for drilling.

I began to use their technique and moved on to another urgent project. Now I would like to complete the task and for the life of me, I can't find their site and wonderful description of the procedure.

Anyone out there have a clue????
Page 8: http://rvimg.com/SoCalNewsletters/July2003.pdf

Thats It!!!!! :D

I can't tell you how long I looked for this yesterday.

Thanks a million.

Now to press on with the building of the 7.

No extra holes!!

This thread was timely for me since I was about to start drilling for the flap hinge. I reviewed the links provided but decided I didn't want any extra holes: there's plenty in there already. To cut a long story short (check my Kitlog for details), I marked a line on the hinge, positioned and clamped it, then drilled and cleco'd one hole at a time. Worked great, and no extra holes! :)
Cheers,

Back