What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap hinge to wing puzzle

SgtZim

Well Known Member
Hi all, I don't see any other recent posts about attaching the hinge -

Following the plans and manual, I am now attaching the wing side of the hinge to the wing skin and flap brace - which are not dimpled or countersunk and the texts don't really specify how and what to do on the wing skin and flap brace before you hang the flap.

Now with the skins and flap brace permanently attached to the wing it looks a bit iffy - pulling them apart to make a dimple, let alone how do I countersink the brace with the skin in the way?

I know you can't dimple the hinge. You should probably not countersink both the skin and the brace? It doesn't seem like I should have done all the match drilling, dimpling, countersinking before attaching the brace - I would not have gotten the aileron and flap aligned that way.

Help?

Thanks!

Bruce

Wing flap brace

Hi all, I don't see any other recent posts about attaching the hinge -

Following the plans and manual, I am now attaching the wing side of the hinge to the wing skin and flap brace - which are not dimpled or countersunk and the texts don't really specify how and what to do on the wing skin and flap brace before you hang the flap.

Now with the skins and flap brace permanently attached to the wing it looks a bit iffy - pulling them apart to make a dimple, let alone how do I countersink the brace with the skin in the way?

I know you can't dimple the hinge. You should probably not countersink both the skin and the brace? It doesn't seem like I should have done all the match drilling, dimpling, countersinking before attaching the brace - I would not have gotten the aileron and flap aligned that way.

Help?

Thanks!

Bruce

The flap brace is countersinked. Wing skin is dimpled. Since you've already installed it, ask Vans. I'm sure others have done the same. They should have a solution.
As far as mounting and drilling the flap hinge, there's a neat trick.
Cleko the flap brace ad wing skin every other hole.
Get a bunch of long #3 rivets. Use the squeezer to gently squeeze one at a time. Check fit in an open hole. You want a tight but removeable fit. Insert till the shank is flush with the inside edge. Work one at a time. They are all a tiny bit different. Remove the clekos. Now you have a lush surface to clamp the flap hinge in place. Position per plans then have a helper hold a piece of wood behind a hole while you drill from the other side. Cleko. Lather, rinse, repeat. Remove the rivets and repeat.

I decided to try pulling the brace back - made a tool to help with that, and was fairly successful. I did not have enough room to use the micro stop cage, but countersinking through the .04 brace enlarges the hole some anyway. I freestyled the job with a small piloted countersink until the bit began to chatter. This made the countersink close to the desired size but a little rough from the chattering. I cleaned that up a little with a zero flute countersink. I did bend the brace some in the process, but restored it all to about 99%.

I tried Larry's suggestion with the rivets - worked very nicely. Thanks again Larry!

Won't be making that mistake again. I'll find another new mistake though I'm sure.

pictures at https://www.facebook.com/BZsRVproject/?ref=bookmarks

Flap hinge

Looks good. Nice work. You have an excellent idea. Use Facebook as a Builder Log. Photos and text stay together in chronological order. Easy to print for the inspection. You should share the concept on the Tips Forum.

Back