What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap hinge pin

Getting ready to put the flaps on but i am curiuos about the single hinge pin method. What retains the pin on the inboard side? I understand the outboard side would stop on the aileron hinge bracket but wouldnt it just slide and hit the fuselage on the inboard side?

Getting ready to put the flaps on but i am curiuos about the single hinge pin method. What retains the pin on the inboard side? I understand the outboard side would stop on the aileron hinge bracket but wouldnt it just slide and hit the fuselage on the inboard side?

Split the pin and insert both halves from the center of the hinge (remove an eyelet or two). If a '90' is bent into the inboard ends of the pins, they can't migrate out of the hinge. I safety wired the bent ends to the flap brace just to make sure they didn't move around.

The same technique works great for securing the seat backs to the floorpan.

Last edited:
Hinge retaining bracket

You can also do this but it weight a few grams more than safety wire.
24p9n2a.jpg

If you remove a couple hinge eyelets in the middle, split the pin like Sam said, but bend the center ends at 45 degrees, you can safety wire the resulting "X" together in the middle. That constrains the whole deal. No bracket needed.

Make them like this:

_______/ \________

Install like this:

_______X________

safety wire together in the middle of the "X"

Easy Peasy

If you remove a couple hinge eyelets in the middle, split the pin like Sam said, but bend the center ends at 45 degrees, you can safety wire the resulting "X" together in the middle. That constrains the whole deal. No bracket needed.

Make them like this:

_______/ \________

Install like this:

_______X________

safety wire together in the middle of the "X"

Easy Peasy

I like that, but I had already done it the other way like above.....

Back