What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Handle Installation

keny

Hello, All, I haven't yet found the easy way to install the flap handle. How do I get the flap handle, with flap handle blocks fitted onto the handle, into bolting position?? I'm looking forward to meeting you next week at OSH. Thanks, Ken

Ken, I don't recall having any problem with this. The first thing I wondered about is if the holes in the plastic are drilled deep enough for the flap handle pivot tubes?

Yes, could you elaborate what the problem is? When I tried to install it I determined that I had installed the wrong nutplates but other than that I cannot recall any problems with the installation.

Hey Ken - -

Have you measured the assembly before installation to the width of the place it goes ? Not a sloppy fit, but I too don't recall a problem. Been 3 - 4 years for me.

John Bender
408.6 as of this morning.

The page 21-05 gotcha

The flap handle nutplates have come up before (3 years ago now) where K1000-8 were installed instead of K1000-3. BigJohn did it and I did it, but BigJohns post saved me because I didn't have the floors in yet.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=44769&highlight=21-05

If this is discovered after the ribs and floor panels are in, you could drill off the solid rivets with a small right angle drill and replace the nutplates using pulled rivets instead of solids.

Tony

The flap handle nutplates have come up before (3 years ago now) where K1000-8 were installed instead of K1000-3. BigJohn did it and I did it, but BigJohns post saved me because I didn't have the floors in yet.
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=44769&highlight=21-05

If this is discovered after the ribs and floor panels are in, you could drill off the solid rivets with a small right angle drill and replace the nutplates using pulled rivets instead of solids.

Tony

I discovered mine were wrong when I was trying to install the flap handle. I drilled them out and used safety wire to allow the new ones to "ride" into place. Worked well with the pulled rivets

You did this too huh? Interesting little job getting the correct ones in there.

:) I did! And I didn't notice it until I installed the flap handle. So, I had to but that right angle drill extension which came in handy later a few times. I'm still not sure why I overlooked it but there were just too many nutplates to install I guess.

Thank you all for your thoughts. Today, I looked at the handle, mounting blocks, and the place they were to go and by applying max. brain power, they slipped into place. Lucky me, the platenuts were the right size.

Back