What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Handle Assembly Installation

JohnF

Well Known Member
I have the flap handle assembly done and attempted to install it. The fit is tight but I can get it in between the seat ribs by canting one of the F1262 blocks through a lightening hole, but then I can't 'slide' it aft to bolt in the blocks because the flanges of the lightening holes project or point into the tunnel.

I am tempted to either cut 1/8 inch off each end of the cross mounting tube, or to flex the seat ribs and use some gentle brute force to tap the assembly aft toward the nutplates that the assembly bolts into.

Did you have difficulty here, and if so, how did you overcome it?

thanks for any hints

JohnF

gently spread the ribs

John,
I had difficulty positioning the flap handle but do not remember exactly how I solved the problem. But it was NOT necessary to cut the tube or rib lightening hole. I probably gently spread the ribs apart. Try to keep the flap handle straight while moving it aft and spread both ribs at once. If you can not get the flap handle into position, call Van's builder's support instead of cutting. While on the phone, suggest to them that, on future kits, they form the seat rib hole flanges outward instead of inward.
Joe

I would not cut anything in this area. I don't remember a problem at all. I know the plate did not want to line up until everything was just so. Try taking a break and looking at it again. What is in the way?

Larry, what's in the way is the flanges of the lightening holes that 'point' inboard...they provide just enough interference that you can't slide the assembly aft toward the nutplates to bolt them in.

I am going to take another look at it, and have asked Van's for their take on this, but as I sit here at home before going to the hangar I am of the mind to try to flex the seat ribs enough to allow the HMW blocks to slip past. We'll see.

This is just like when I was building the RV6A; I would hit a snag, and think to myself "when I resolve this problem I can go ahead and make rapid progress again." Nope, what happens is that you just go on to the next problem, but resolving these glitches becomes satisfying and oddly enjoyable!

Thanks for your input.

Ya know, I kinda remember that being an issue, but I was able to "move things" slightly to get it in place without modifications.

I know what you mean about "these glitches becomes statisfying". I really miss my shop time, I like figuring things out. I actually like repairing airplanes more than building them, and no it's not cause of my landings! ;)

Good luck!

Fixed

Thanks for the advice fellows. I got the assembly in and bolted in place. It took some gentle flexing of the seat ribs and trying a lot of different angles to apply hand pressure, but after 1/2 hour of recalling my old Navy vocabulary it popped into place.
Phew...

OK. Yes, as I recall, the flap handles were difficult to install. For those of you who have completed your project or are near completion, what was the most difficult part of the RV-12 assembly for you? I have so far completed the wings and tailcone. I am half way finished with the fuselage and wondering with concern what lies ahead.

Rick.

It's funny you should ask that Rick. It just seems to me that when ever I thought ahead about an upcoming project and started to worry about it, it turned out to be more of a mental challenge than the actual build itself. Take it one step at a time, and do the best you can.

Back