What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap - Fuselage clearance - how much?

BSwayze

Well Known Member
I'm currently fitting the flaps and enlarging the hole in the fuselage for the flap push rod. I've looked all through my drawings and the plans, and I can't find any notes about how much clearance to trim for on the inboard side of the flap where it meets up with the fuselage. Mine fit extremely close before trimming. There's no rubbing or anything detrimental as far as I can tell, but it seems to me there should be a bit more clearance. Did I miss it somewhere in the plans?

How have some of you finished this? Did you trim it, and how much clearance did you allow? Here's a picture as it is right now:

P1000799%20(Small).JPG

I use 1/8". Looks good, allows for paint, flap shifting and vibration, and all structures move. What's critical for appearances in gap setting is keeping it uniform and even, not so much the absolute width of the gap. This becomes ever more critical when you get to the cowl.

You'll probably wonder next about the wing/fuse fairing strip. Don't make it too small (I think Van's specs 1/8 - 1/4) or the seal will have a tendency to push out in flight - quite alarming! I target 3/16 or a tad greater. It will stay in place. There have been other threads on this issue.

John Siebold

Take a sharpie and scribe a line on the flap along the wing. when trimmed it will match the contour of the wing exactly.

Same goes for that wing/fuse intersection fairing

Bruce

I will end up with about a sixteenth of an inch after paint.
It's not clear in the plans, but a long as it doesn't rub, you're
good to go with thin tolerances.

Back