What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap bracket/piano hinge position

Moondog

Well Known Member
For those of you that are stuck in the office on Sat. and happen to be on VAF, here's a question. With the need to maintain clearance tolerances on the flaps and ailerons, should I temporarily connect my loose piano hinge to the hinge already on my QB flaps then mark/measure for drilling the hinge to the flap brace/wing skin (awkward), or just do empirical measurements and hope I'm close?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I think you want to connect the loose side, position the flap, then triple check then drill. Too much room for error any other way.

During my build I had to get a wider hinge to maintain proper edge clearances.

Don

There is room on the end of the flap on both sides to put a cleco clamp to hold the loose side of the hinge in position. That will get one side started and inserting clecos will stabilize the hinge quickly. I set my hinge back too far and had to clean up the overhang. The pin side edge of the loose piece should be just aligned forward and back with the rear edge of the wing bottom skin. You need, of course, to have the aileron well positioned before doing the flap. A piece of 1/4 inch wood works wonders.

Back