What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Brace and Aileron Gap Fairings

macrafic

Well Known Member
I've riveted each of these (W-712 flap brace and W-724 aileron gap fairing) to the rear wing spar, as directed by Vans instructions. However, I don't see any place down the line where the brace and fairing are riveted to the skins. I've looked at all the rest of my instructions for the wing.

Have I missed something somewhere? When have you completed these rivets?

Check flap dwgs.

I don't have my plans in front of me at the moment, but you might check the flap drawing. It all gets attached together to the flap hinge.

Sam

Maca, unless you installed something incorrectly... you should have the skins for it to attach to.

Check out Dan's project and see if yours looks like his.

Does this help?

:rolleyes: CJ

Sam, makes sense about the flap hinge. That would explain why I still have clecos there instead of rivets. I haven't installed the skin wing side of the flap hinge yet. However, I'm still puzzled why I have clecos in the skin and aileron gap fairings and when they are supposed to get riveted. Anybody?

Flap Attach

Look at drawing 14A.
Note the "Right Side View" and placement of hinge, brace and lower wing skin. Also, see rivet callout in area F-4 of the drawing.
I hope this helps....(maybe I'm not understanding your question.)

Sam

My fault Sam. I've obviously not clearly stated my question. I see the rivet callout and everything else on the plans. My question is one of timing. WHEN would I rivet these in. It makes sense, as you indicated, that I would rivet the flap brace to the skin when I rivet the flap hinge on. However, I'm not sure WHEN I would put the rivets in the aileron gap fairing. It isn't called out in the instructions. I can't see any reason why I don't rivet them now, before I attach the completed aileron. Do you see any problem with that?

Thanks for your patience!!!!

When to rivet

It sounds like you can go ahead and rivet it together now. As you know the flap is attached to the wing via hinge & hinge pin, making the flap removable from the wing. FWIW, I used the split pin system.

Make sure that there is good flap/aileron alignment (per instructions) before drilling the hinge to the wing.

Back