What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Bearing Block Question

fabricflyer

Well Known Member
DWG 33
When we cut the flap bearing block (F-680) in half, do we use a AN960-10 washer between the halves, like we did with the rudder pedal bearing block (F-6115)? The plans say nothing about using washers on the F-680.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Allen

Recommend inserting washers

Installing washers made for a better fit in my 9a.

I am completing a build started years ago by someone else. One of my initial tasks was to reset an error in the flap mechanism; in the process I noted the very tight fit on the manufactured bearing blocks.

Installing washers makes up for the material removed in the saw kerf. Without washers to restore the original height, the bearing surface of the blocks was slightly out of round, and thus overly tight.

My two cents...

Another way is to cut the blocks and then bolt them together and re-bore them with a spade bit. Looks nice and clean. No washer.

The reason for the washers is to separate the two halves a bit to make up for the material that was cut away with the part was cut in half. Without the "spacer" washers, the two halves would clamp down on the flap weldment when the bolts are tightened down.

Back