What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap and Aileron brace rivets for quick build

JamesAllanL

I'm New Here
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, probably with many to follow. I can't find any reference to this.

I'm installing the flap and aileron braces on my quick build wing. The wing already has flush rivets installed from the factory where the ribs attach to the rear spar, where the braces are to be mounted. I'm assuming these rivets do not need to be drilled out. This would result in the braces not having rivets placed where the brace holes match with the rib location. Hope this makes sense. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Allan James
RV-7A Quick Build
Huntington Woods, MI

Rivets go through every layer

It's been a while since I did mine but It looks like some of the rivets do go through the braces, spar and the ribs. Where the ribs are there a multiple rivets into the rear spar (3 or 4). The brace only affects one of these rivets in each case. Wherever that is I would drill out the factory installed rivet and replace it with a solid rivet (if accessible to buck) or a pop rivet if not. This is how I did mine.

No rivets should be in brace holes

I just did mine a few weeks ago and there were no rivets in the holes for the braces. They do make mistakes on the QB wings. On mine they riveted all of the bottom root end holes when some are supposed to be left open for fairing attachment. If there is a hole in the brace and the mating hole has a rivet in it I would consider that a mistake and take out the rivet.

Cheers

Drilled out misplaced rivets

Thanks for the input. I took your advice and drilled out the rivets, and will be replacing them, even though I'll have to use AN426 rivets, instead of AN470 rivets, since they were already countersunk.

Allan James
RV-7A Quick build
Huntington Woods, MI

Back