What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap/Aileron trailing edges don't match..

WenEng

Well Known Member
Patron
Slow build wings are almost done. I installed the ailerons. Very nice fit and very happy. Then I slipped the flap in place for fitting. Hinge is already drilled to flap. So, I clamped the hinged flap in place temporarily. I expected to have the trailing edges of the flap/airleron matched for a smooth ''line''. No way. The flap trails behind the aileron by about 1/8 to 3/16. To get the trailing edges lined up I push the flap hinge forward to the point there is hardly any gap left between the lower wing skin and the flap skin. Can't do that and still have the flap rotate down. I called Vans and they said it was a common occurance on the early models. Said to leave it alone it will be fine. He also said thats why so many people leave their flaps down when parked. Mismatches are common. Well, I sure want to have them match up. Has anyone trimmed the rear lower wing skin to effectively move the flap forward? Another builder I respect said he did that and it was a lot of work and involved adjusting the flap brace before attaching it. Has anyone ever put a shim between the aileron hinge bracket and aileron spar to effectively move the aileron back 1/8 inch? I could leave it alone and try to not look at it. I'm just frustrated.:mad:

Has anyone ever put a shim between the aileron hinge bracket and aileron spar to effectively move the aileron back 1/8 inch?

Yep....

Don't tell anybody, but it's the reason my plane is faster! :D

I've seen others too. My ailerons, flap, and tips are an exact match.

edit: BTW, the frize aileron gap, actually matched the plans better, with the shim. I've seen quite a variance in the gaps, when it comes to the 6's.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Last edited:
My -10 is the same way

About 3/32" difference. It bothered me for a few hours then just kept on building. Nobody will notice at 5,000' and 160 kts.

Definitely won't be the last annoying thing. Try finding a starter contactor other than from Van's that has 2 7/16" hole center-center. All the cole-hersee/ford/acs, etc were 2 7/64". If anybody knows let me know.

Alright... I slept on it overnight..

If anyone can comment on their trimming lower wing skin to pull the flap forward a little I would appreciate hearing about it. I will keep the aileron shim option open if I decide I can't stand looking at the mismatch. In any event, I can snug up the hinge gap somewhat between the flap and lower skin without too much worry. I also tested the flap pop out angle and for my wing the flap popped out of top wing skin at 53 degrees down. Just a data point.

Back