What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap Actuator

Brambo

Well Known Member
I have a couple of questions regarding the attachment of the flap actuator to the flap actuator weldment (Dwg 33, Detail E).

a) Since we?re using a nylon nut, why does it need to be safety wired?

b) What is supposed to be wired, the nut or the bolt?

c) If you only wire the nut or the bolt then isn?t the other still free to rotate? So shouldn?t both be wired?

This will be my first safety wire operation, so I?d like to do it right but I?d also like to understand the reasoning behind it.

Bill Rambo
RV-7A

Flap actuator safety wire

I do not have your plans, but Vans put out a bulletin to drill a small hole in the lower end of the actuator and safety wire the rod end bearing so it would not back off the actuator when it is turning.
I had this happen to me on the way to take a checkride. It made my day more complex than it needed to be.

Vern is faster than me. I was about to reply that the safety wire is to prevent the actuator arm from turning thereby "unscrewing" the rod end bearing in case the jam nut comes loose..

Ahhh... Now that makes more sense. The plans and instructions could sure be a little clearer about that.

Thanks

Safety wire jam nut

I drilled the jamnut and a diagnal hole in the end of the actuator and safety wired them together.

Vern said:
...Vans put out a bulletin to drill a small hole in the lower end of the actuator and safety wire the rod end bearing so it would not back off the actuator when it is turning.
I had this happen to me on the way to take a checkride. It made my day more complex than it needed to be.
Thinking I'd better put this on my "to-do" list before I forget it I just checked the Van's web site for this bulletin and couldn't find it. Can anyone direct me to it?

Couldn't find it either

Randy, I could not find it either. There seemed to be a lot of different methods from other posts. I chose to safety the jam nut to the actuator and it seems to be a clean, solid solution. Come out to Parkside and you can check out what I did. Contact off line if you decide to come out and I will give you my cell.

Flap motor wirelock

If you want to see athe RV9A plan covering this issue go to the 23 July 06 entry here.

Double click on the picture and you will be able to read the enlarged plan.

Dont forget to do it!

Back