What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap actuator to weldment alignment

hydroguy2

Well Known Member
Anyone have any trouble with the flap motor/actuator to weldment alignment? Mine seems to be offset ~3/16". I didn't notice it while building the mount, but when I started hooking it all to the weldment, I see I have a bit of misalignment. I'm worried about possible binding or unnecessary wear in the future.

I am pretty sure what you are talking about is normal. The motor does connect to the weldment at a slight angle. I don't have a picture of it on my site yet, but I am sure you could see this on others.

Normal?

Well, I don't know about "normal", but everyone I looked at when I did mine was offset too. "Normal" to me would imply that it would line up, but for some design reason, it is askew....

couldn't take thinking about it, so today I reworked the attach angle and offset it. Much better. If I remember I'll snap a pic tomorrow.

The offset on the attach angle is per the plans so it would be correct You will not set the angle bracket permanent until the flaps are extended with the motor in the down position.

Last edited:
darrell, I think we're talking about different things. I'm talking misalignment between the rod end from the motor and where it attaches to the flap weldment.

Before:
RV7197.jpg
[/IMG]

If this is left misaligned, as the actuator strokes it could be subjected to a sideload. All I did was build a new F-766B angle bracket and F-766D spacer, so that everything would run in track...no side load.

After:
RV7198.jpg
[/IMG]

darrell, I think we're talking about different things. I'm talking misalignment between the rod end from the motor and where it attaches to the flap weldment.

Before:
RV7197.jpg
[/IMG]

If this is left misaligned, as the actuator strokes it could be subjected to a sideload. All I did was build a new F-766B angle bracket and F-766D spacer, so that everything would run in track...no side load.

After:
RV7198.jpg
[/IMG]

Up top (motor end) there is a bracket that the motor bolts to. That's the bracket I'm talking about. You do not final drill that mounting bracket until the bottom end is bolted to the weldment and the flap motor is ran about
3/4's the way to flap down position. The bracket does not sit straight. If you leave this bracket loose you can move the lower attach point (the one in your picture) side to side and fit it to the weldment and bolt her up.

Back