What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap actuator jam nut

JurgenRoeland

Well Known Member
My excuses if this is a stupid question but I didn't find a part number of the jam nut at the bottom of the ES-85615-157 flap motor actuator. The one that is safety wired by SB07-4-12. I also didn't find the part number of the rod end bearing on DWG33.

Can anybody please tell me the torque value for that jam nut on the flap actuator.
thanks in advance.

gr from Belgium
Jurgen

I assume you have no torque specification listed on your plans or in your instructions? Certainly my plans and instructions have nothing on this torque value but then mine are Ye Olde Original from back in the "Black and White days" (as my teenage daughter likes to tell me). Additionally, back in my day (hahaha!) the electric flaps were optional and they came with a separate sketch on how to install them - ie: they were not identified on the aircraft construction drawings. This may or may not be the case for you as it would depend upon the age of your kit.

In the absence of a specification from the manufacturer of the equipment it is normal practice to use standard torque values for the thread size you're dealing with. You can go online and find these values listed in a number of places - just search for something like "standard torque value for UNF threads".

If that gets too hard then I would use the very sound advice provided by Walt.

On my electric flap system I drilled the corner of one flat and lockwired the nut to the actuator. You could probably also use a locktab if the rod-end bearing has a groove for one. The use of locktite is another excellent idea on this part.

I assume you have no torque specification listed on your plans or in your instructions? Certainly my plans and instructions have nothing on this torque value but then mine are Ye Olde Original from back in the "Black and White days" (as my teenage daughter likes to tell me). Additionally, back in my day (hahaha!) the electric flaps were optional and they came with a separate sketch on how to install them - ie: they were not identified on the aircraft construction drawings. This may or may not be the case for you as it would depend upon the age of your kit.

In the absence of a specification from the manufacturer of the equipment it is normal practice to use standard torque values for the thread size you're dealing with. You can go online and find these values listed in a number of places - just search for something like "standard torque value for UNF threads".

If that gets too hard then I would use the very sound advice provided by Walt.

On my electric flap system I drilled the corner of one flat and lockwired the nut to the actuator. You could probably also use a locktab if the rod-end bearing has a groove for one. The use of locktite is another excellent idea on this part.

Thanks both for the advice. No the plans do not mention any torque values or hardware part nr for this. I guess it comes part of the Pittman/Ametek flap motor. I looked in the tables of AC43.13 but they just mention standard nuts there.

I was already planning on using locktite (seen the service bulletin) as an additional safety. I was only worrying about over torqueing.

Back