What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap actuator channel F766

rjcthree

Well Known Member
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to line up my flap actuator channel F766. Side panels/covers F760L/R screw holes do not line up with any reasonable F767 bracket I can fab - the gap to line up at the top screw holes in between the F767 and F705 cross brace wants to be at least 3/16" to get the angle right, then there is a verticle offset to deal with. F785A is in place, screwed down, mismatch at top is in excess of the #8 screw diameter.

Bottom line: my F766 is wants to be more verticle than F760L/R would indicate.

QB Fuse, if it matters. F705 seems to be lined up OK, but still with factory installed pop rivets and some extra cleckos.

Any ideas? Dwg 33 (for both -7 and -9) for reference.

Rick 90432

Huh.

Can you believe it? Not one reply? Well, in case anybody ever searches this, I called Van's on this topic, talked to Gus, and he said I was free to make any F767 bracket within reason to make things line up. He also relayed a good tip for tip-up builders - get out the blocks and torque tube for the canopy latch and check that the flap brackets/covers don't contact the torque tube. Tolerance stacks being what they are, there is a chance.

Rick 90432

Sharing your misery

I had a similar question and talked to Gus as well. (I inadvertently received an RV-10 flap actuator with my RV-7 kit) (I asked here and got not response) he said I could go ahead and use it, but it would move slower. But in relation to your question, I also asked about fabricating the F-767, since no piece came with the flap kit. He told me the piece came with the fuselage kit. I found it a bit odd that I could not find a piece that I did not have to cut in both dimensions. It seems like you can usually find a piece that you only have to cut to length. Oh, well I'll manage to get it made, and I’m still debating on returning the actuator.

I know this is no help for your question just sharing your misery.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

I'm trying to line up my flap actuator channel F766. Side panels/covers F760L/R screw holes do not line up with any reasonable F767 bracket I can fab - the gap to line up at the top screw holes in between the F767 and F705 cross brace wants to be at least 3/16" to get the angle right, then there is a verticle offset to deal with. F785A is in place, screwed down, mismatch at top is in excess of the #8 screw diameter.

If it's the part I'm thinking of, I had to open up all the holes on the two side covers so the skin would sit flat. This is the large triangle shaped cover, right?

Yep . . .

I used the triangular covers as the fit guide. The severe bends I had to put into the f767 part had me make twins from 0.040 and rivet them together. Worked out fine. At some point I'll add a pic.

Rick 90432

Back