What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FL-704 Orientation

BoilermakerRV

Well Known Member
So I'm working on my flaps and ran across a small issue. On drawing 14A all the flap spars are shown in the same orientation (flanges facing outboard). However, when I tried to put the bottom skin in place the pre-punched holes on one of the end ribs wouldn't line up with the holes in the skin. I flipped the end rib (FL-704) over and Eureka, it fits.

So long as the top skin holes also line up with this orientation, I intend to press on.

Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks,
Michael

fl-704 flange orientation

Michael
The web of both inboard flaps will be flush and the outboard ends will be inset.
Reference the note in the middle of sheet 14a indicating that all fl-705 rib flanges face left on both flap assemblies.
Hope this helps.

Saga Continues

Thanks Arnie. The note you reference only applies to the internal FL-705 ribs, not the FL-704 end ribs.

I realized another thing this morning. The webs of the end ribs need to face inboard in order to mate properly to the FL-706 reinforcement plates.

IMG_1645.jpg

When the right flap FL-705 end rib is oriented with the web facing inboard the holes in the skin and rib do not line up.

IMG_1647.jpg

These may be far enough off that I can simply drill new holes using the skin as a guide. I would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

Figured it out!

Issue resolved!

So the key to my problem was that the FL-704 end ribs actually come in two different flavors (FL-704-L and FL-704-R). After removing the protective plastic and parts flying all over the shop I got them mixed up. Have all the parts in the right place now, and everything fits great.

Issue resolved!

So the key to my problem was that the FL-704 end ribs actually come in two different flavors (FL-704-L and FL-704-R). After removing the protective plastic and parts flying all over the shop I got them mixed up. Have all the parts in the right place now, and everything fits great.

I mark my parts with an electric vibrating "pencil" immediately upon removing the blue plastic.
FP01012012A0003T.jpg

Back