What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fixing canopy

davidkarlsberg

Well Known Member
So I drilled a few extra holes (long story) in the back half of the tip up canopy. What should I use to fill the holes.

Thanks.

I know a fellow builder that drilled unwanted holes in the canopy. What you do is find some acryllic rod approximately the same diameter as the unwanted holes or larger. Enlarge the holes to the size of the rod. Buy some acrylic adhesive from US plastics. Cut the rod down to the appropriate thickness and glue the rod into the hole. Then use an acryllic polish/scratch remover kit to polish it all out. The canopy that I saw that had this procedure done looked awesome and was hard to tell. I did not notice it until the builder pointed it out.

Not sure

where you drilled the holes, but if it is across the roll bar, just make a targa strip for the front half of the canopy to lay over the back half. You will never see the extra holes unless the canopy is up.

extra holes are drilled in the back of the window underneath the skin. I was hoping there is some type of filler I could just stick in the extra holes.

Sounds like

You will never see them anyway. Counter sink to keep from cracking, maybe fill with clear rtv and move on.

I'd say just fill them with clear RTV but be SURE that it won't react with the plexi or you could have a real problem.

If the extra holes are under the skin where they won't be visible and won't let air/water into the cockpit, and they don't violate any edge distance requirements, then what's the point in trying to plug them up? Gooping RTV into the holes might not do any damage, but it won't make it stronger either. I would just make sure the holes are burr-free (just deburr as needed, not full on countersink) and move on.

Back