What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fixed-pitch 9A weight & balance question

rv12iS-builder

Well Known Member
Friend
A Sensenich fixed pitch prop weighs about 40 lbs and I'm guessing a Catto fixed-pitch prop weighs 15 to 20 lbs less.

A Concorde 25RG-XC battery weighs about 23 lbs and an Odyssey PC680 battery weighs about 8 lbs less.

While saving 20 lbs sounds good, would you actually be better off having the extra weight up front to keep the CG from moving too far aft when you carry a lot of stuff in the baggage compartment?

Anybody have any real-world numbers on this?

Thanks,

Mark

W&b

Mark,

My numbers with RV-9A, O-320-D2J and Craig Catto 3-blade prop, Odyseey battery, SJ cowl/plenum with 4" prop extension.

1061 lbs empty
Empty CG 77.349

It's a perfect setup because it is REAL hard to get it out of CG. (Takes big people and lots of baggage.)

PS - I have excel spreadsheet with my numbers in it if you want it to play with.

Last edited:
check out VAF W&B

Check out the vansairforce.net weight and balance link provided by Dan Checkoway. The site has several 9s with various CG and loading senarios. At least one with the catto prop. It's pretty hard to get out of limits with this airplane with real world, real people loading with max and min fuel.

6a?

Any input from 6A drivers with the same setup? I am about to find out for myself. Catto three blade, Saber mfg 2 1/4" prop extension (not his heavy one), Odysey battery. O320-E2D.

Regards,

Back