What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting upper cowl?

Lionclaw

Well Known Member
Does anyone have any suggestions for making sure the upper cowl is level? I've tried measuring it up from the sides in the back, but when it's even in the back it looks tilted in the front. Should I just eyeball it?

Second Q - My 1/8" strip of hinge was 6', even though the sticker said it was 1/8 9'. Should I have gotten 9', or is 6' enough?

Thanks!

Align with spinner...

...or prop back plate once engine fitted. And straight upper edge of lower cowl defined by molded joggle.
Hard to do otherwise.
Jim Sharkey

Cowl hinges

There are two different style hinges for the cowl.... so be sure you are looking at the right ones and using the correct/replaced hinge pins!

How does one figure out which hinge pin you have? I read the instructions that said I should get a new pin for the HS trim tab with the QB kit I think. Nothing on the parts list indicated such an item.

All the pins I have look the same, color, feel, etc. They have all been very difficult to cut.

one 9' sticker - two pieces of hinge, 6' and 3'

my 9' sticker was on a six foot length of hinge with a second three foot length unlabeled in the bundle.

Back