What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fitting in a RV-8

airwolf1980

I'm New Here
i'm looking at getting a rv-8 and flew in the back seat. it was a tight squeeze. i then sat in front and my knees were up against the instrument panel and my head was rattling off the canopy. i'm 6' 4" and 215. at 50 i don't plan on getting any taller but my cg is shifting lower.

any tips on making space inside the cockpit would be appreciated.

fly safe,

Van's has a "tall man" option for the -8. I don't know how much difference it makes and haven't sat in one. But it is an option. You might want to find one and try it on.

I fit in mine...

I actually chose the RV8 because of the room. I am 6'3", 250 and am very comfortable. Part of the issue is how the seat upholstery is constructed. There is a lot of room for height adjustment. With adjustable rudder pedals you can get your knees free of the instrument panel.

Try a few on, take some measurements and start building!

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Yep, find someone that will let you pull seat bottom out. A buddy's -8 has about 8 inches of upholstery there. There's also a 'tall pilots' option available on the -8. I would look for someone that has incorporated that mod specifically.

Adjustable Rudder Pedals too

airwolf1980 said:
i then sat in front and my knees were up against the instrument panel and my head was rattling off the canopy.

Agreed - back seat in the RV-8 is a bit tight. You sort of wear the airplane in the back seat. Comfortable but bit tight. However, the front seat should not be a problem for your body/frame size at all. All RV-8's have adjustable rudder pedals (either ground adjustable or standard in flight adjustable, which I prefer) You can move the pedals quite far forward so that even at 6'4" you shouldn't have any problems.

As others have said - cushions in the -8 are often super-thick, and can be sized down for you.

Last edited:
It's all in the upholstery and pedals

I'm 6'4", on the plus side of 300, and I fit comfortably in my -8. I have a hands width of room between my headset and the canopy, and lots of room for my legs.

As everyone has said, the upholstery makes a HUGE difference, and adjusting the pedals forward helps as well. I bought the seat foam kit from Van's, upholstered it, and do NOT use the wedge shaped piece meant to boost up the pilot.

Cheers

Back