What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

fitting fuel tank

Trevor778

Well Known Member
So I've finished up my left tank and everything is great, moved on to the right tank and when I go to fit it after installing the leading edge we have a problem. The method I've used is the well known Checkoway method. Everything was perfectly lined up prior to riveting and when I go to install the an4-3 bolts into the z brackets I have a slight mis alignment, maybe 1/16th. I definetly dont want to open up the holes in the spar, but my fit is perfect everywhere else. The only thing I can think of is something shifted when I riveted on the baffle. The z brackets are all labelled and in the correct locations as to where they were match drilled, and the baffle riveted on fine, minus a hand full of the flush rivets that needed a light ream to get to fit (maybe 10 total). Needless to say this has given me a headache yesterday and today. Has anyone else come across this or any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Floating nutplates on the z-brackets will probably make your headache go away. :) Others may have better/more suggestions.

You didn't specify if the discrepancy was spanwise or vertical but I'd guess it would be spanwise if everything fit before riveting. So, it's probably just that riveting pulled the brackets in tighter and changed their angular position slightly. If that looks like the problem you can 1) remove the tank and gently adjust the brackets slightly by hand or 2) use a punch to force the brackets into alignment while inserting the bolts or a combination of both.

Back