What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting Flap Leading Edge

JVolkober

Well Known Member
I am fitting the leading edge flap skin to the spar and nose ribs. Per the instructions, I am starting at the bottom, clecoing the bottom to the spar and then to the ribs before attempting to cleco the top to the spar. I am finding it very difficult to align the prepunched holes to allow me to cleco the top of the nose skin to the spar. It appears to take a great deal of force to get a tight enough fit to get the holes to line up. Any suggestions on how to approach this other than with brute force?

Check that the flap nose rib tabs and flanges are square to the ribs. Remove all high spots from the tabs.

Steve

I'll 2nd what Steve said, and add that a bit of Boelube on the tabs helps the nose skin slide into place better. It does still require quite a bit of force to push the skins in place.

.. and also get someone else to help you.
I found a 2nd set of hands to push / hold the leading edge skin in place was essential.

Be patient - it will eventually fit!

Lorin D
9A wings
N194LD (reserved)

Flap leading edge skin

Here is what I did, I installed clecos in the bottom holes per the instructions and then I used 4 ratcheting cargo tie down straps spaced evenly along the leading edge skin. I used 75 lbs of lead shot over a 2X4 to hold everything down, put the straps over the top of the flap and 2X4 and under the flap table, tightened each one a little at a time and the top holes lined up very nicely. I did have to touch up the opening in the skin for one of the hinge brackets with a small file to prevent interference.

No straining, no grunting.

Jim White

90789 - N789JT (Res); wings.

Back