What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting cowling too early?

Kyleag04

I've studied the plans and searched the forums and I'm pretty sure I'm not going to run into any "gotchas", but I thought I would ask to make sure...

My fuselage (RV-7, slider) is at the stage just before fitting the wings and empennage. I just received my finishing kit last week. I've got a used engine O-360-A1A that needs to go to the engine shop for a teardown/rebuild.

I'd like to send the engine to the shop soon, so I want to go ahead and fit the engine mount, engine, and cowling. Is there any reason this is a bad idea? I would fit and cleco the forward fuselage deck skin in place, but would not rivet it.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Cowling

Don't see any issues. Line up and drill the 3/8 holes
For the engine mount to fire wall. Take it off and mount
The engine mount to the engine and hang it. If you can let the rubber
Mounts compress/ seat for some time that would be an advantage.
Fit your spinner and go for it. If your using skybolts, you may or may
Not need shims under the mounts depending on thickness of cowling. I put them in and did not need them. If using these, don't drill
1/2" holes in the cowling to receive the skybolts. Use a step drill
And finish off with a 15/32 bit. 1/2" allows to much float of the quarter
Turn screw mount which in turn mess's with your alignment at the spinner.
Take your time.

This also gives you a good opportunity to check the layout of all of your firewall penetrations. You can then drill them while the mount is off knowing that nothing will interfere later.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

I will press forward.

FWIW, I plan to use the stock Vans piano hinge to fit the cowls. I like the "no external fasteners" look.

Thanks for the help,

Kyle

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

I will press forward.

FWIW, I plan to use the stock Vans piano hinge to fit the cowls. I like the "no external fasteners" look.

Thanks for the help,

Kyle

Properly installed, you will have no regrets. Search the posts for all of the good advice on how to do it right. Two of the biggies are; "Glue" the hinges in place before you start riveting. This keeps them from moving while you set the rivets and insures alignment so the pins don't bind. Lots of different methods to do that. Support the bottom cowl next to the exit by adding a screw or camlock on each side of the exit.

Back