What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting control surfaces

prkaye

Well Known Member
In the empennage plans/instructions, they say to "trial fit the elevators (rudder) to the horizontal (vertical) stabilizer". But I can't find any drawing or detailed instructions on how to do this... what bolts and nuts to use, where to drill (e.g. I think those white PC pieces on the inboard ends of the elevators have to be drilled to fit to the center attach bearing... but not sure, where or what drill bit etc)...

Any suggestions on where i can find this info?

Phil-
I would wait to drill the elevator control horns until you are almost ready to have everything up on the fuselage later. There's no reason to drill them now and it will be critical that you get them as close to perfect as possible. Likewise, I wouldn't spend too much time trying to fit the rudder perfectly because the VS spar flexes a little. That flex won't be taken out permanently until you mount it to the fuse. Any adjustments you make now with the rod-ends probably will need to be adjusted later anyway. For both the elevators and rudder, by the time you do the fitting to the fuselage, you'll have a much better understanding how all the different parts of the empennage work together.

I'm not sure which drawing to look at, but I'm pretty sure the rod-end bearing measurements can be found on the main rudder and elevator drawings.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back