What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting canopy to slider frame

SuperCubDriver

Well Known Member
Today I cut the canopy and fitted it to the slider frame off the aircraft. Would like to see it on the fuselage but with clamps on it it?s not possible. How did you fit the canopy to the frame when it was on the fuse? The only thing I can presently see that the front bow is good with the rollers centered in the tracks. I could think of drilling the canopy to the front bow and cleco when it is off the plane, then I would be able to close it and work my way to the rear.

I drilled mine on a table

with clamps holding the front and rear bows at the proper width determined by bare frame fit to the rails.

this is the rough order I used:

Drill big hole and bevel to clear weld for latch boss. Unibit worked well after initial hole with plexi bit.

Clamp canopy in place on table with frame clamped to proper width. Clamp lower side edges in place too above and not touching lower side square tubing.

Start at front/center of top bar and drill / cleco first foot or so aft of front bow. I used .125" plexi drills to drill through plexi and just start hole in frame. Used good quality HSS .125 drill to drill through frame (4130 is tough and will dull your plexi bits). Practice drilling scrap and try to make it crack. Anticipate the final pull through as the bit pierces the back edge of the plexi. Use high RPM and very low pressure.

Work down L & R sides of front bow alternating progressively to near last hole in the front bow.

Work aft to complete the balance of the top spine

Work down L & R sides of aft bow alternating progressively to near last hole in the aft bow.

Retrim edges as necessary. Sand front edge with large - wide straight board with 80 progressing to 240 grit paper to make it straight and square.

Install side aluminum panels. Check out my post#6 in this thread http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=52700&highlight=canopy . for extra help for the lower aft corners of the canopy skirts.

I filed a bevel on the aft edge about 1" wide to facilitate good fit of the aft aluminum pieces. When you install them get help to pull down and forward pretty hard on the skirt as you progressively locate and drill the holes in the aft bow.

Expect this to take a while, and enjoy your results for years... I have no detectable drafts (7A slider). :D

Last edited:
That worked for me - the canopy is drilled and clecoed to the frame. It slides freely. However I have to shim the front portion of the frame at the rollers and the lower rear parts of the canopy on the frame. This might be a problem as it is already drilled and it will then shift some.

Back