What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting Brakes to A Models

rwtrwtau

Hi Guys,

Looking for pictures of how people have setup the parking brake on a 7A. I am thinking about removing the standard bracket from the firewall and mounting the valve down there. This means I can use the standard hoses. I am also looking at how to rig up the park brake cable.

Also, What is the best way to run the brake lines through the gear weldments? I can see that if I follow the plans these may get in the way of the wing bolts when installing the wings. Did you run the brake lines differently or wait till the winds were fitted for the final time or is this not an issue?

Thanks
Richard

I can't quite see, but I gather you are planning to replace the standard plastic lines with hoses and the two tubes running down go to your brake lines? I have in mind to reduce the number of fittings in the system as it appears the two right angle fittings at the botom can be removed...

rwtrwtau said:
Hi Guys,

Looking for pictures of how people have setup the parking brake on a 7A. I am thinking about removing the standard bracket from the firewall and mounting the valve down there. This means I can use the standard hoses. I am also looking at how to rig up the park brake cable.

Yep - I did exactly what you describe (http://www.geeksville.com/plane/BuildLog/pages/day-2004-02-16.html). I attached the cable with a pair of adel clamps and a piece of angle aluminum riveted to the firewall. Worked well - and I use the parking brake fairly often now that the plane is completed.

Also, What is the best way to run the brake lines through the gear weldments? I can see that if I follow the plans these may get in the way of the wing bolts when installing the wings. Did you run the brake lines differently or wait till the winds were fitted for the final time or is this not an issue?

I wouldn't worry about the brake lines getting in the way of the wing bolts. I did my brake lines per plans before ever installing the wings. Putting the bolts in the wings was difficult, but not because of the brake lines - because of the weldaments. The brake lines are the least of your worries when you reach this point. :D

I replaced the standard bracket with a custom one (click to enlarge):

I'll use the tab at the top to secure the Bowden cable. This allows me to use the standard hoses and lines. I just had to order a couple of fittings.

I can't answer about the gear weldment. I haven't mounted the wings yet.

Dave

Dave:

I like your mount. Just last week I was plotting how to mount my valve. I'll adopt your method. It's the best I've seen so far. No more hoses to buy and fewest parts (and hense failure points) in the system.

A tip passed on by an experienced RV builder (6 plus) is to route both the fuel and brake lines around the front of the mount versus through the mount. Take a look with the mount in place and you can see where they can easily go around the mount after passing through the last bracket grommet. Keep in mind there will be a cover plate along the front of the spar.

I may use this method as it eliminates the difficult process of going through the mount and it may improve safety also.

I don't like the idea of having the fuel line passing through the mount where it can be sheared by the mount if the gear get wiped off in a "landing". Maybe the mount would stay attached to the spar and maybe not. If not, the fule line will be sheared INSIDE the cockpit. If I run it around the front, there will be less possiblity of the line shearing. You can even put an extra curve in the line before it enteres the grommet to allow a bit of travel.

Jekyll

Last edited:
How about on the floor instead of the firewall?

Everybody seems to be mounting their parking brake valves on the firewall... I was thinking about mounting mine on floor, just forward of the fuel valve. That way it could be actuated directly with a simple lever, no need for a push-pull cable. The brake lines run right through there anyway on the -7A. Seems like an easy solution. Any thoughts?

roee said:
I was thinking about mounting mine on floor, just forward of the fuel valve...

I didn't think of that. Sounds like a good idea. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks Dave, This looks like the best method I have seen.

I also like the leaver idea but I will already have a fair bit of gear forward of the fuel selector. i.e AFP fuel pump, fuel flow sensor, wiring, break lines, fuel lines etc. Also you will need to devise a way to make sure it locks positively as you do not want it coming on in flight!

Regards
Richard

Brake control location

Here is where I mounted my brake cable. It is behind and below the panel. It is a slight reach, but it is out of the way.

Back