What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting baffles

wirejock

Well Known Member
My baffles didn't fit around the valve covers. Probably because mine are aftermarket billet aluminum covers. Some places they needed 1/8" or more removed. I battled with file, fit, file forever on the first. Problem is there is only about 1/8" between the head and the baffle. No room for a pen to mark them. This little trick made it quick.
Take a piece of piano hinge pin. Bend the end 90°. Doesn't matter how much but as little as possible. Cut the stub off short enough so the wire stub will fit in the gap. Sharpen it on the grinder. Install the baffle. Finger tight is fine. Use the sharp wire to mark a score line on the baffle. It doesn't take much. It's easy to see. Remove and draw over the score line with a sharpie. Cut, grind, whatever up to the line. Check fit. Surprisingly accurate.
Edit...
I could have removed the covers and reinstalled them over the baffle then marked but they are new seals and torqued. I didn't want to disturb them.

Last edited:
Back