What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First wing rib / belly skin overlap

JanRV6UK

Well Known Member
How far forward ? from the rear spar or trailing edge of the flap ... Does the belly skin go on the first wing rib ?
Jan

How far forward ? from the rear spar or trailing edge of the flap ... Does the belly skin go on the first wing rib ?
Jan

I don't have a measurement for you (I'm not at the hanger), but the belly skin goes up to the main spar. Is that what you were looking for?

Yep !! Thanks .. Do you remember if it goes past the spar, or right up to were the rear skin ends ??

I wanted to make sure I had the least amount of flutes so I could plan a nice layout of the plate nuts .. and I was not sure how far up the overlap was .. if it was only 3 or 4 inches then it would have been more critical. Now I can put the initial rivets in place .. spaced toward the flutes .. that gives me slightly more room in-between ... then drill the hole for the screw on assembly with the wing - attach the plate nuts and away we go.....

Yep !! Thanks .. Do you remember if it goes past the spar, or right up to were the rear skin ends ??

I wanted to make sure I had the least amount of flutes so I could plan a nice layout of the plate nuts .. and I was not sure how far up the overlap was .. if it was only 3 or 4 inches then it would have been more critical. Now I can put the initial rivets in place .. spaced toward the flutes .. that gives me slightly more room in-between ... then drill the hole for the screw on assembly with the wing - attach the plate nuts and away we go.....

It definately does not go forward past the main spar; there is perhaps a 1/4" gap on mine between the skin and the rear side of the main spar where it penetrates the fuselage.

Your plan sounds pretty much like what I did on mine - good luck!

The intersection fairing.

FWIW --- On my 6A, the wing/fuse interesection fairing wraps around the bottom of the wing, and just enough behind the main spar to attach to the belly skin with a screw. At some point the rubber stops as it begins to lay flat.

I just seem to remember than in the old day's, that the plans were not too clear on this subject. I kept looking at photos from others to see how they did it.

One thing for sure, is to install the nutplates before permanent install of the wings. I didn't & had to remove all the heavy duty bolts. Just no room for my hands in there.. At that point, the wings stayed off until painted.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Thanks for that L Adamson – I will put that on my “do not forget list” ..

Line up and temp install wing .. drill Belly skin / Fairing pull out wings…nutplates .. That sounds like the way forward …

Have a good weekend !!

Back