What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

first time new brake pads, 450 hrs

A5555

Well Known Member
nothing special. it was an easy job.

check brake pad wear, lowest measurement was at the corner of the inner pad, .110. limit .10, so I was almost there.

no need to remove the wheel or open the brake line for brake pad check or replacement if brake line can flex.

IMG_20160704_124326.jpg

IMG_20160704_124536.jpg

IMG_20160704_133121.jpg

Fund9cGMmkYiy_gT1hMjTVop3Thmv3IkMHqjknvZ8IPjO-QlgL-GNwf8JL2L-Onde9OGrxI0DKo=w1152-h864-rw-no

ok, while at it, removed the wheel for bearing grease.
k1S-n_KDIOKarT_kAvnB_wpM1nFE01ZmugLW9bNylBq70DX4WA7JwbFz1oJVIP2gVHKvnhwl0Eo=w1152-h864-rw-no

pack bearing
vJnvhkU80Gca0l_7ccFkM0WbqT3U4haSHm7B3OVtEZdozemCNjsmsEpQeR1TGoKdobRCXNwHchk=w1152-h864-rw-no

flight checked good. an easy job. brake pads, $33 total. can't beat the price.

Last edited:
I'm on the same replacement interval as Steve ... My pads at 270hrs showed very little wear, maybe not even halfway. I suspect they'll be ready for the scrap barrel at 450.
( I wish I could say the same for my tire wear issue on the L side. :cool:)

It's great to know that pads can last that long (technique-dependent, of course). I'm always letting her roll an extra taxiway on landing so I don't have to stomp so hard! :)

No I suspect he is serious. I have noticed how aileron can load one wheel or the other and cause more drag on each side depending on where you hold the stick.

you're joking..... right?

Not at all. Torque on takeoff is trying to rotate your airplane towards the left main gear, which loads up that tire a fair amount. With that in mind, you're gonna chew up the left tire faster than the right one. Add in any side load and it gets worse. Aileron mitigates some of this...

that's something I had not considered. my engine = 160 HP, at 2700 rpm = 312 ft-lb torque. with about 3 ft from the crank center line to left wheel results in 104 extra lbs on the left during takeoff. I'll tell my wife to have another piece of pie.

Last edited:
Back