What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Radio Transmission!

Taz

To all those that have help along the way with great posts!

This AM I was actually just going to see if my music input worked, but soon realized I didn't actually have what I needed to even try. While everything was on, I figured I'd make sure the PTT that I had just wired to the sticks would at least indicate "TX". To my surprise, I could hear ATIS at the Knoxville airport. All I have on my -7 is a bent whip on the belly and I am still in a closed garage a little over 5nm from the airport. This was so exciting that I tuned in ground and calmly transmitted, "Experimental 9823W, radio check please." which yielded an immediate "Loud and Clear.":D

I couldn't believe it worked on the first try, much less from inside the garage several miles away.

Anyway, I've had several 'head hanging' days...today - I'm dancing. I am finally feeling like this thing will fly soon!

Thanks again for all the great info on this forum!

Brian
RV-7, N9823W
90/90

Congrats. That is an exciting moment. I remember my first transmission from my garage. I'm not close enough to a tower to talk to them. However, the Boeings come near my house on their way to SJC. No, I didn't talk to them but I did listen. That was cool.

I did the first transmission to my wife who was on the handheld down the street. That was a great moment. Nothing smoked!

Keep pounding those rivets. I'm posting this from an airport restaurant that I just flew my RV to for breakfast.

Thanks

Thanks for the motivational story, breakfast in the RV...Hopefully I'll be able to do the same before too long!

Brian

Congratulations!

It feels good indeed after that first transmission. I rolled my wingless RV outside (2 miles from Newark KEWR), sat comfortably on just installed leather and was listening the tower for good hour. Keyed couple times just to get TX indicated. Congratulations!

Taz,you can ride with us to breakfast until you get airborne if intersted,we have a 6 and7 at mor and a 7 and nine at flaglor field in greeneville.we are always looking for flying destinations,especially when food is involved!are you going to keep your7 at dkx or tys?Bob. [email protected] or 423-736-0265.

Brian,

flyer174 is one of the guys that I mentioned in my email....

We won't leave you behind on the next breakfast run...

I have to warn you, going to breakfast with flyer174 will make you fat and slow down your progress!!!

Thanks

Ha - you guys are awesome. I'll take you up on a breakfast or lunch run anytime I'm not coaching my son's soccer team. Keep me posted if you plan to head this way...otherwise I'll just have to make an excuse for you sometime! ;)

Truth is, I'm killing myself (read spending all free time) to wrap things up because we are due to move again this summer and I can't stand the thought of packing it onto a truck again; Vegas to TN was our last move almost 2 yrs ago. :eek:

If I can complete in time - I plan to do the flyoff out of DKX, then fly it where ever the AF sends us next.

Brian

Back