What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First post on VAF, looking for RV-10 in DEN area

Rky_mtn_man

I'm New Here
As this is my first post on VAF I want to say wow, lots of good info on this forum. I look forward to sharing and gathering as much information from you RV builders as possible. I'm considering a 10 to build, no quick build for me, I need this to take a few years for the cash to accumulate.

I was interested to see if anyone on this forum could get me in touch with an RV10 owner builder in the Denver area that might allow me to see or better yet sit in a 10. I really don't want to drive/fly to the factory in OR just to get up close and personal with the plane. I think I need this to push me over the line and order the EMP kit. Plus I'd like to hear from the 10 builders on this forum about what I'm getting into here. I live in a remote area with limited resources and my garage space is limited to about 20 x 30 for the heated area, is this enough to room to get the EMP started? Thanks all.

There is a Denver based RV-10 listed for sale on barnstormers. As for the garage, 20 x 30 is plenty. Building mine was one of the most rewarding things I've done, and I continue to be surprised with the performance - even better than advertised. Somebody posted a quote-able phrase the other day, referring to "the silent envy of Cirrus engineers" when considering the RV-10.

Welcome Cliff!

Well, as you can see, I'm an RV-10 builder, but I'm a little ways off having something you can sit in. However, there are a few RV-10s flying in the Denver area. Unfortunately, of the 3 guys I know with flying 10s, one of them sold his (he also has an RV-6, so he was downsizing), another has his up for sale, but the third guy is named Jim Berry. He's a nice guy and might even take you for "the most expensive ride in your life." :D Look him up in the Vans white pages. i'd urge you to join an EAA Chapter. Even if you have to drive to attend meetings, they only meet once a month, and it's invaluable to get to know other builders. You are also welcome to visit my builders site to see how I have done so far. I work in a 3-bay garage (about 30' x 20'), but I also have a partially built RV-3 waiting to be finished up, so I really only work in an area about 20'x20'. You should be fine with the room you have for at least the tail kit and wings. I don't envy your decision and remember what it was like for me to pull the trigger on a kit. take your time and research hard, so you have no regrets. For me the family hauler that best fit my mission was the 10, but it might not be the same for you. If you do decide to build an RV-10, well then, you have at least my support for when you get into trouble..

Cliff,

I have a completed -10 at Centennial (KAPA) that I would be happy to show you. It is down for maintenance and some new bells & whistles till the end of the month, but we could go flying after that if you want. Send me a PM if you know when you will be in Denver.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Welcome to VAF!

Cliff, welcome aboard the good ship VAF:D

If you ever get to the Sacramento area, I will be happy to show you our RV 10.

Cliff,
I have a workshop in my backyard that is 20' x 32' and space has not been an issue the entire build. I'm working on my firewall forward kit now and still have plenty of room. The wings and tail components are stored in a 10 x 20 loft. Here is a post on my blog showing the layout of my shop after I got the tail on. You can see that there is plenty of room.

blogger-image--242447463.jpg

Thanks for the support

I want to thank you fella's for the support and info. I feel like the VAF forum will be an invaluable resource on this adventure. I've joined the local EAA chapter 1267 to get involved with the guys doing this sort of thing day in and day out, and have found they not only have to tools required to build, but the desire to help as well.

I will be PM ing some of you about your 10, since it would be illogical to proceed without getting some hands on time with an actual 10. I'm a big guy (tall) and need to make sure the 10 has adequate room for myself, I say that as if the other planes I've flown have had adequate room.

One technical question I do have for the 10 builder. The Vans website clearly states all but the rv- 3 and 4 have matched holes, but I don't see the 10 on the list of planes that does. Is this just an oversight on the Vans website staff or does the 10 not come matched.

The RV-10 is definitely match hole punched! It also uses the new (11x17 format) approach to the plans with the drawings integrated into the instructions. If curious, you can go on to the Vans website http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/service-rv10.htm at the bottom of the page and download some of the plans change pages to see what they look like.

Also, Jay Brinkmeyer has a flying RV-10 in the northern part of Colorado Springs.

Bob
2x RV-10 builder

One technical question I do have for the 10 builder. The Vans website clearly states all but the rv- 3 and 4 have matched holes, but I don't see the 10 on the list of planes that does. Is this just an oversight on the Vans website staff or does the 10 not come matched.

Early 3's and 4's did not, now that is an option. All the newer kits have matched holes. The 10 goes together with no precision jigs as the matched holes align the skin and structure and square it all up.

The RV-10 is definitely match hole punched! It also uses the new (11x17 format) approach to the plans with the drawings integrated into the instructions. If curious, you can go on to the Vans website http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/service-rv10.htm at the bottom of the page and download some of the plans change pages to see what they look like.

Also, Jay Brinkmeyer has a flying RV-10 in the northern part of Colorado Springs.

Bob
2x RV-10 builder

You can also get a CD with all the plans in a PDF format from Van's for $10.

I will be PM ing some of you about your 10 said:
I fly periodically with a guy who is 6'4" without difficulty. That is with the pedals in the aft position, since I am vertically challenged.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I fly periodically with a guy who is 6'4" without difficulty. That is with the pedals in the aft position, since I am vertically challenged.

Jim Berry
RV-10

Good to know, that's how tall I am. I think the 10 is going to feel roomy compared to the machines I've been using.

Welcome

Cliff
Welcome to VAF.
I'm not building a 10 but I am building 7a in Estes Park. You are welcome up any time. A second set of hands is always welcome.

Early 3's and 4's did not, now that is an option....

The RV-3B does not have a matched hole option but you can buy QB wings for it, although not the fuselage.

I'm building one and not only do we have to drill the holes, first we need to locate them and decide what size to drill them.

Dave
RV-3B, now on the tanks

Back