What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight RV-9A 90919

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
I received my airworthiness certificate yesterday May 27th. It was just a coincident but it came on my Dad's birthday. He would have been 97. Then today at around 8:00 AM Roy Geer volunteered to test fly the plane for me. The flight was very uneventful with no heavy wing and only minor distractions. He flew for about 15 minutes and made a perfect landing considering the winds. We removed the cowl and found a leak at the front of the engine that really concerned me at first but after removing the prop it was only the freeze plug in the end of the crank that didn't seal perfectly. Whew, a very easy fix. A huge thanks goes out to Jay Pratt, Jim Vroom, Troy Thompson, Mel Asberry. and Roy Geer for all their help and encouragement. Also to my buddies back in Arkansas, and my two sons Scott and Jamey for all there help. Video and videos to follow when I quit grinning.
Mel%252526Jim.jpg

Edit: Video added. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4b11HHXtvY

I need to thank one more person for a wonderful place to share the RV experience. Doug Reeves, you're the MAN!

Last edited:
Well Done

Terrific Jim congratulations. Makes it all worthwhile.
My kit ships on 13th June to Australia.

Pete

Congrats Jim

Congrats Jim. Been following your progress since you started. Add another digit to the flying status.

Great

Enjoy it Jim. Good job. It just gets better and better know. You going to fly it to Osh this year?

Video is in process. I am trying to figure out how to edit 2 videos into one short clip. Doubt I will go to Oshkosh this year. I want to be completely comfortable flying my new plane before I add stress to the mix.
My new friend Roy Greer getting ready to make the first flight for me with me standing by the plane with every emotion flying around in my head you can imagine. My biggest concern was, "What could I have done wrong that could get Roy hurt or worse". He scared me on final when he rocked the wings from side to side several times straying from the runway centerline. At first I thought he was having trouble controlling the plane but figured out he was just losing altitude. Whew!
DSC03877.JPG

Last edited:
Congratulations Jim!

I also have been following your web page, referring to it as I put my own kit together. I'm not too far behind now. We're going to have a bumper crop of new 9's at next year's fly-ins.

Jim

Just since I have been through the same thing lately, thought I would say when you get comfortable with the 9a, AND fly off the hours you will love it. The first few, my transition time etc was kind of scary. Not so much due to the plane, its an awesome platform, but more so due to the fact I simply havent flown much in years. A few hours, here and there to keep current. The 25 hours we have to fly off in Canada was done in several weeks and gave me lots of time to test both the plane and myself. That is more hours in three weeks than I have flown since I got my lic a couple years back. I took my time, always made notes about things, researched issues, put little stickers on the dash to help me nail speeds and procedures...and went and worked on them next flight. Once you get "comfortable" I think you will find your skills and confidence come very quickly. I personally feel that last 30 hours have been the very best for me skill wise. Enjoy the time, and then fly the stuffin out of it! You got your own plane...life doesnt get much better than that. Fly safe. :D

Congratulations Dad!

And I forgot to thank a very important person on the first post. I could never have gotten the plane ready for inspection and the first flight without your help. Also, who else would have crawled inside the fuselage up under the panel to buck all those rivets in the front cover. Thank you! Oh, and sorry about costing you a bunch of money when you buy that RV-4. :D

You're welcome and I have been looking at airplanes ALL day! There is a Hi-Max for sale right here in Talihina. Hmmmmm. Wonder if that would keep the flying bug at bay until a RV-4 is in sight.

Congratulations

Congratulations on your first flight! Until you have experienced it, it is difficult to understand all of the emotions that accompany this event.
I was the RV-4 that took off a few minutes before your flight (and replied to your radio check). The day was very windy and looking at the video, Roy did a great job of handling the gusts (good thing no one was filming me when I got back from KSEP). For fun, to play in the wind, I was able to slow down to 14 knots ground speed on the way to breakfast.....on the way home, I hit 238 knots (before getting under the class B ofcourse...ha ha)
Again, Congratulations...and let the fun begin!

Congratulations Jim

What a fantastic day for you Jim. I can't wait to see this fine looking plane up close.
Pat

Well Pat it is pretty knarly looking right now with all the fiberglass work only roughed in and no paint. That will change as soon as I get the hours flown off.

Back