What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight RV-12 with Lyc O-235

What kind of performance are you seeing?

What is the weight?

Hard to hear, but the RPMs sound pretty low. What is the static RPM?

Very cool.

Last edited:
I'd also like to know the weight.

Based on the weight difference among Zenith aircraft that use an O-200 vs a 912ULS, I'm going to make a bet that it is 70-100lbs heavier than a standard RV-12. Probably 85lbs+.

How close am I?:D

Either way, congratulations on your project. I love it when builders try new things.

Wow... from way off the radar screen. My Hmmm? meter flickered a bit... but saw what appears to be a redesigned cowling and air intake. Hmmm... maybe this is real?

I'm curious too about weight and w&b... and how you pulled that off without having forward CG issues. And confirming that it is an O-235 and not a newer lighter O-233? Sure like to see under the hood and hear more about the details...

dj

Neat!

In a stock -12 there aren't even any longerons to support a "real" engine mount... I'm guessing there must be some serious extra beef in the front end of that fuselage! :p

I'd love to see some photos of the installation.

Lyc Engine

In a stock -12 there aren't even any longerons to support a "real" engine mount... I'm guessing there must be some serious extra beef in the front end of that fuselage! :p

I'd love to see some photos of the installation.

Yes I too would Like a LOT more Info on this engine Installation...!! Particularly the W & B Issues and structural Strengthing required and engine Installed weight?? It Sure is a Nice Alternative!

I posted the Lyc O235 RV12 for my father Paul so I don't have all the W&B or performance info you seek. Its his 5th RV project and 6th aircraft build so he has the experience to make it all work and qualify. "kids, don't try this at home".

I'd also like to know the weight.

Based on the weight difference among Zenith aircraft that use an O-200 vs a 912ULS, I'm going to make a bet that it is 70-100lbs heavier than a standard RV-12. Probably 85lbs+.

How close am I?:D

Either way, congratulations on your project. I love it when builders try new things.

We got our 0-235 (C2C) powered RV9a down below 1320 lbs, to comply with the 1320 lb MTOW class. By working with the 0-233 spec's with our 0-235, we were able to get it down to just 3 lb heavier than the 0-233.

Update?

I had forgotten about this thread, so bumping it to see if rvamateur can provide an update on weight, performance and hopefully some photos of the installation. I think it is great to see someone using the O-233 for this. My dream plane is a tandem LSA using the O-233. I truly wish Vans would design something similar to the RV-4 in an RV-12 level of kit!

DJ

Back