What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight Question

WingedFrog

Well Known Member
Reviewing Flight Test card for flight#1, I am wondering how many performed all the tasks of this Test Card on their first flight. Seems to be pretty loaded for a first flight considering all the pressure on the test pilot for this very special flight.

Best advice I had was from an experienced builder/flyer with several 1st flights.
Throw away that card for the 1st flight.
Take off, circle a few times at altitude. get the feel of the plane, calm down!
Take note of the engine readings.
Land full stop.
You can taxi back and do another if you would like.
Save the cards for later.
I took his advice and glad I did, was great!
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=649289&postcount=243

Used to have a "flight-test card" for signing off major overhauls on Navy helos. The test cards were labled "1,2,3..."and so on. But, card 1 wasn't done until every item was checked, regardless of how many actual evolutions it took.

A lot of the time, you didn't want to do the stuff at the bottom of the card until you were happy with the stuff at the top. Occasionally one of the pilots used to tick me off when they would try to rush through some of the stuff.

Personally, I'd want a short 1st flight. Just long enough to verify that the flight controls work as expected with gentle inputs and that engine instruments look good. Probably no more than about .5hrs. Then, I'd do a really thorough post flight inspection.

That day is a long way off for me though!

Last edited:
Absolutely ..

Keep it simple and keep it short. Stay over the airport, check out basic controls and engine temps, fly just enough to get a feel for the plane (for me that included some slow flight, but no stalls), then get it back on the ground and CELEBRATE!! My first flight was 0.6hrs .. and that included taxi time. The Mrs. and I then enjoyed a beer or two at the hangout next door, and went home happy campers. :D

Keep in mind that the test cards were written in the context of them being used by a production flight test pilot, flight testing a new production line airplane. The goal is to fully test the airplane as quickly (but safely) as possible.
There is no minimum test time requirement for S-LSA flight testing.

An E-LSA builder has the requirement of a 5 hr minimum, but that should not be considered a goal. Safety needs to be the primary goal.

It should take as long as it takes... none of the cards has to be completed on one flight. It is generally accepted that someone new to the RV-12 will probably take at least 10 hrs to complete all the cards.

I've built four homebuilts. The first flight in each was once around the patch followed by a thorough check. Only the RV-12 rewarded me with no surprises. My preference is a short hop to verify controllability and spend the second flight orbiting the field for an hour before I venture off to do testing.

I'm sure everyone has their own preference, but this has worked for me.

What cards

Reviewing Flight Test card for flight#1.....................

What card? :)
I am assuming I have to write my own. I know of an EAA project that suggested the test series but I thought that was put on hold. If there is a well thought out series of cards for an RV8 test program, I sure would like to know how to get them......getting close(r).

I am assuming I have to write my own. I know of an EAA project that suggested the test series but I thought that was put on hold. If there is a well thought out series of cards for an RV8 test program, I sure would like to know how to get them......getting close(r).

Best way to get them is to sell the RV-8 and build a -12. :D

Joking aside however, I think if you could have a look at a set of RV-12 test cards and acceptance procedures, you would have a pretty good starting point for creating a similar set for the RV-8.

I wrote a thorough set of test cards for my RV-6 back in 1999. They have been copied and cloned a lot on the Internet. Do a search and you should find many examples. I think Dan Horton had them on his web site.

I wrote down some points from the flight test card on a knee board and ticked them off. Besides that I had a gopro with an audio cable. I spoke out loud all the points I saw and did during the flight. First flight took 40 minutes and with the gopro and the data from the Dynon I was able to complete all points from the first card.
First stalls were done up to the (very light) buffet. "Deep" stalls were done at flight 3.
I have to admit that all things/systems worked flawless. Failures at the first flight will be a different story. Only thing that was really different to other GA aircraft I had flown were the light control forces (especially roll channel).

First Flight was 12 minutes - around the patch.

Followed by a Lay-up and condition check (not an Annual.)

Second flight was 1:42; Third flight was also 1:42.

Sign-off was after 15 hrs.

Next flight will be Number 100. Five months.

Bob Bogash
N737G

First Flight was 12 minutes - around the patch.

Followed by a Lay-up and condition check (not an Annual.)

Second flight was 1:42; Third flight was also 1:42.

Sign-off was after 15 hrs.

Next flight will be Number 100. Five months.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Bob, can you elaborate why your sign-off was after 15 hrs and not 5?
Thanks

Bob, can you elaborate why your sign-off was after 15 hrs and not 5?
Thanks

The 5 hour restriction is a minimum. It's not probable that you can do a comprehensive phase I in 5 hours. 15 hours sounds very reasonable to me.

I'm slow (no comments, please!)

I think 5 hours is very aggressive, although I know at least one guy who did it and then took a long cross-country.

I just took my time and had no number in mind. I wanted both me AND the airplane to be ready. Some tests I did multiple times just for my benefit.

Some guys on the Forum might describe me as a "boring pilot" to fly with - no fancy stuff, no aerobatics, low flying, steep turns - I fly the RV-12 like it was a 747, with 400 paying passengers in the back.

I love to fly because 1) I'm succeeding at the challenge of taking a machine up into the air and returning it safely back to Mother Earth, 2) because I enjoy looking at things from the air, as well as nice puffy clouds, and sparkling water, and seeing things you could never see from the ground, and 3)taking advantage of the efficiency of an airplane in getting you cross-country in a hurry - even in a slow-poke RV-12. I really enjoy taking the airplane for a lunch in the Islands - a two day, multi-ferry task via surface, or across the mountains - taking an hour to do what takes all day on winding mountain roads, filled with cars, semi's, campers, and logging trucks.

When it came time to sign it off, there was not the slightest doubt in my mind that me and the airplane were both more than ready, and would be able to fly safely. My wife was my first passenger. I'm teaching her to fly now - in case I kick off some day - hopefully she'll be able to get this little Stud Muffin back on the ground and walk away.

Two more flights today! - Numbers 100 and 101.

Bob Bogash
N737G

Bob, you ain't slow, you're smart! The idea is to do a thorough correct test program, not set speed records. Mine took about 7 hours. It takes about 10 hours just to learn the traits of the beast! With your background I'm sure you took a very methodical approach.

Rich

Back