What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight N912TR s/n 120137

The first flight of RV-12 N912TR S/N 120137 occurred on December 21st, 2012 at Arlington Municipal Airport (KGKY) in Arlington, Texas. The aircraft was piloted by Shawn Scott, a veteran RV builder, pilot and A&P mechanic. Shawn stated that the plane flew straight and level right from the start. In the initial climb-out shown below Shawn is assessing the handling characteristics of this particular aircraft.

The aircraft is collaboration of Eric Caldwell, Jerry Ritchey Jr. and Jerry Ritchey Sr. with extensive help from Eric Williams. The "manufacturing team" shown below, would meet at the building workshop on Saturdays and spend all day, late into the evening working on the project. Total build duration was approximately 2 years using this weekly approach.

The aircraft weighed in at 739 lbs. with the SkyView system and the optional lights, autopilot servos, full interior and wheel fairings. We plan to have the aircraft painted once we finish tweaking the setup. Thanks to Van's Aircraft for designing and supporting a great E-LSA and to our wives and girlfriend for allowing us to pursue our dream of building and flying a small part of Van's Air Force.

null_zps63ad7385.jpg

image_zps4b2711d1.jpg

Looks like your 12 flew the day before mine. They are great little flying machines and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I know I'm gonna enjoy mine!

Walt Shipley

Congratulations, Eric, Jerry Jr, and Jerry Sr! Quite an accomplishment! And I also appreciate you'll letting me hang out in your hangar for 'builder motivation' and for answering a few thousand of my silly questions. :D

Back