What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight N678BH

Neal@F14

Well Known Member
Paul Bonner and John Hooker's RV-10, N678BH, made its maiden flight Friday morning, July 3rd 2009!

I'll try to get some pictures online later.

A couple of issues with erratic readings from the Dynon D120 EMS tach and manifold pressure gauges were easily fixed by changing resistor values for the p-lead connections that feed the Dynon's tach inputs, and inserting a flow restriction device into the vacuum hose for the MAP sensor.

Another major squawk discovered is that the center console-mounted throttle quadrant was a bad idea. It sure looked pretty, but the console is simply just too wide, and you cannot get full stick aileron deflection with your leg in between the stick and the console, unless you have skinny toothpick legs like Olive Oyl, so the fiberglass console around the throttle quadrant is getting ripped out, and the quadrant relocated upward a few inches to immediately below the instrument panel to make some legroom.

RE:Congrats

Way to go. Congrats on that 1st flight

Paul Bonner and John Hooker's RV-10, N678BH, made its maiden flight Friday morning, July 3rd 2009!

"Another major squawk discovered is that the center console-mounted throttle quadrant was a bad idea. It sure looked pretty, but the console is simply just too wide, and you cannot get full stick aileron deflection with your leg in between the stick and the console, unless you have skinny toothpick legs like Olive Oyl, so the fiberglass console around the throttle quadrant is getting ripped out, and the quadrant relocated upward a few inches to immediately below the instrument panel to make some legroom.

Don't ya just love experimental aviation!!!!:)

Frank @ 1L8 ...RV7A... First Flight next week...waiting on insurance!!!!

Another major squawk discovered is that the center console-mounted throttle quadrant was a bad idea. It sure looked pretty, but the console is simply just too wide, and you cannot get full stick aileron deflection with your leg in between the stick and the console, unless you have skinny toothpick legs like Olive Oyl, so the fiberglass console around the throttle quadrant is getting ripped out, and the quadrant relocated upward a few inches to immediately below the instrument panel to make some legroom.

Please post some pictures of this center console. Others have a center console and have no issues. I'm curious to see their design and the issues they are having to deal with.

thanks,

bob

Now the 40 hour countdown starts

Congratulations. Now the fun starts. Hope you got a bigger flyoff area than I did. Mine is a 90 degree slice from a 50 nm circle :mad:

They got a standard, full 50 nm radius to fly off the phase 1 hours.

They're keeping all of the center console aft of, and including the fuel selector cover, just getting rid of the forward section that was housing the throttle quadrant and putting the stock flat aluminum floor tunnel cover on, in front of the fuel selector. I've got several good digital photos of the console and panel before the forward console was brutally removed (didn't even want to save that piece and removed it by cutting it up into pieces), but since VAF doesn't seem to have direct image upload/hosting capabilities, I'm going to have to set up an offsite account somewhere to upload and link the photos.

Last edited:
Training can expand the size of your area

CONGRATS! One of my instructors lives 150 miles away. To facilitate training, the FAA increased the size of my area.

Hope that helps.

Barry
Tucson

Here's the pics:

Interior views showing original center console throttle quadrant.
img1774.jpg

img1775.jpg

John Hooker, about to taxi off to make the maiden flight. He doesn't look nervous at all to me :D
img1783.jpg

N678BH looks pretty much any other newly-built, still unpainted RV-10, at this point.
img1786.jpg

Last edited:
Neal,

Thanks for posting the photos.

img1775.jpg

I can clearly see the issue that is being experienced. I understand that the stick is hitting the pilot's leg. Did anyone check to see if the control surfaces were able to travel to their full extent? I'm just curious as this is related to other threads that talk about the stick hitting the panel.

The reason for my curiousity is that I will be installing an AeroSport (Geoff Combs) panel in my RV-10. In comparing designs, it appears that Geoff's design isn't as bulky, nor does it seem to go as far aft as this center console. It appears that I shouldn't have the same issues.

http://albums.phanfare.com/7068012/3161550_3465046#imageID=64300117

bob

I understand that the stick is hitting the pilot's leg. Did anyone check to see if the control surfaces were able to travel to their full extent? I'm just curious as this is related to other threads that talk about the stick hitting the panel.

The stick was hitting the pilot's right leg and, on the other side, also the co-pilot's left leg. The problem wasn't really evident until after the front seats were installed, and the extra cushioning lifted you up and forward. When you sat on the raw metal seat platform, the stick would clear the legs.

The sticks did have to get about 1" sawed off the top vertical section for the pushbutton grips to clear the panel with adequate clearance when the stick was full forward. That was an easy, and typical fix.

I think the builders were hoping that the RV-10 would have an over-abundance of aileron authority (like the -4, -6, etc have) so that the little bit of left-right stick interference would not pose any real control problems, but the -10 being a much bigger and heavier aircraft, just does not have quite the nimble aileron control as its smaller siblings, and in a strong crosswind landing, it was going to be a problem.

When I sat in the pilot's seat and experienced the problem myself, I did note that a re-designed stick shaped with a much deeper, and more elliptical forward curve section might have made just enough clearance to get full range of motion without hitting the pilot or co-pilot's legs with the wide center console still in place.

Last edited:
Congrats on the flight!!! Can't wait to be there myself!

I wanted to comment on the stick clearance issue, having experienced it myself...

I originally planned on a center console and throttle quadrant. After flying a local RV-10 with a center console that changed my mind in a hurry. No center console for us! I'm a shorter pilot (5' 5") and that required sliding the seat forward to one of the first couple of notches. That puts you close enough to the stick that full stick back was pretty tight. Full stick deflection in the direction of the center console was not possible without removing my foot from the rudder pedal and moving my leg.

I'm not aware if the plane I flew had the rudder pedals installed in the normal position or the alternate position that moves them farther aft... I'm guessing the former. I definitely plan to use the alternate position based on our experience.

Thanks for the comment about the difference before and after the seat cushions were installed. Hadn't thought of that one yet, but this issue is a concern for me as well so it is duely noted.

Back