What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight N254MM

BruceMe

Well Known Member
RV-4 serial number 2208 has found wings. Here's a link to pictures of me and the plane.

First Flight Pictures

Here's my first flight report:

Before the flight I did about 3 hours of taxi tests in about 10 sessions. I found a burn mark on the cowl and fixed a hot spots. Otherwise it's not leaking and ran well. I got my airworthiness on Tuesday morning, then my repaired altitude encoder for the transponder showed and I was in business to fly.

I took her out for one last taxi test and did a full-power run-up. I returned to the hangar, pulled the cowl and everything checked out. I was running out of daylight, so I called it. Wednesday I started her up and taxied out to the run-up area. I tried to convince myself one more time that this was a totally normal flight like any other... which of course it was not!

After my run-up I requested a single pattern from the tower. I was given a hold short and once landing traffic cleared, I was given position and hold. I took the runway and ran the engine to 3/4 power. Brakes where released on go. As the nose rotated down, I added throttle to full and the plane gently swerved to the left under a combination of gyroscopic precision & x-wind. A light application of right rudder was insufficient to arrest the swing, I added more and it came under control before I rotated to get air born. This all transpired in under 4 seconds.

I climbed at a shallower-than-normal attitude to mitigate any starvation issues. It climbed briskly at something well over 1,000 fpm and 90 KIAS.

I climbed to pattern attitude before reaching the end of the runway, leveled out and pulled back power to 2100 RPM before turning onto the x-wind leg of the a pattern. On the down-wind I found myself 300' over pattern attitude... yeah I've forgotten how RVs love to climb. I also noted that the plane was S&L with the stick held 2" to the right. I looked out to see the ailerons offset about 1" on either side (one up, one down). There is some trim work to be done in the roll axis. Elevator trim was very effective and worked hands-free at all speeds. Rudder tracked well and shouldn't require trim. Control forces in every axis where modest, yet stronger than my RV-3 was, but it's a slightly larger aircraft and I expected this.

I turned base at 90 KIAS and attempted to put down 10 degrees of flaps and noted that it took much larger than expected force and wouldn't stay in the detent. The johnson-bar and latching mechanism is inadequate, I need to refine it. On final, the tower put me behind a jet that took forever to get off the runway. They requested a 360 degree turn. I executed the 50 degrees bank turn to minimize the time I'd be pointing away from the runway. I'm a glider pilot, I have a strong aversion to being out of gliding range of a runway.

After my turn, I aimed for a touch-down point 1/3 down the 7,000' runway very hot. I made my mark touching down perfectly gentle and very hot in the two point. I attempted to lower the tail wheel a bit too early and found I was air born again. I was patient and let the airplane find the ground again without any bumps. I applied modestly-firm braking and stopped before the half way. I taxied back and relaxed for a while, and yes... I grinned

Last edited:
My plane is granolae, burkenstock liberal pinko

It wants to turn left @ neutral. I suspect two culprits. The flaps aren't even and or the wings may not be straight. I think the former is a minor culprit (uf any) and the later is far more likely. Right now both aelerons are about 1" offset (1" down on the left, 1" up on the right) to maintain S&L. The stick force is very slight at 90kts, it's maybe 5lbf at @ 130kts. What are the solutions? Please no more riveting, I'm too proud to cry!

Twisted Sister...

Bruce,
There are several ways to skin an RV...First, you can re-rig the ailerons and flaps as you mentioned. You can also check to make sure the ball is centered at cruise speed as well as equal fuel in both tanks. All that done, the next thing is to squeeze the trailing edge of the opposite aileron of the heavy wing slightly. It took me about 50 hours to get my -4 rigged right...

Smokey
HR2

Wing heavy

Just fixed a 6A that was left wing heavy. Bought a digital level at Sears for $25. Leveled the whole plane, straigt edge under the bottom of the wing/flap said that the left flap was up further than the right. Adjusted the flap link, brought it up about 3/8 of an inch. The ailerons were just fine and she flys hands off now and ailerons are even. I think that the guy that put it together matched the ailerons to the wing tips then matched the flaps to the ailerons. As you might guess the left tip is warped. I just dont look at the left wing tip when I fly it. If you still have the template that was made from your crate, try putting it back on and take a look.

None the less, congratulations I can't tell you how jealous I am.

Randy

2nd Flight

The second flight was longer and I did stalls. A few things are coming to me now as I reflect back on those flights.

First, is how slowly it flies for being such a hot little bird. My most recent aircraft has been a tailwheel KIS TR-2C and Christian Eagle. Over the fence for either is about 80kts and touch down is 65-70. Both go from 80 to 70 in a few blinks. For both flights I did that kind of profile in the RV and I just couldn't get it to slow down. I was indicating 70KTS over the fence and 65 on touch-down. That was WAAAY too fast. It seemed to be perfectly happy flying at 50Kts. Man what a plane! So I need to manage my energy better, just familiarization.

Second, I have a climb prop and 2300RPM was giving 124KIAS (IAS was calibrated to be within 2 knots accurate in the Pitot/Static check I did for the transponder). That's on target for not having fairings, but man that's slow.

Third... I love flying RVs, They just feel right. The eagle can do a lot more, but the RV feels just as good as the Eagle on a lot less maintenance.

Speed is Life...

Bruce,
Leg fairings and wheel pants on a stock RV4 add 15 knots, give or take a couple. 150 Knots True with a 0-320/Sterba climb prop is about right at 2500 RPM/Sea Level all faired up.

Add another congrats from me!

Smokey
HR2

Another MikeMike RV. Congrats!

N19MM (not flying yet!)

FYI: It sounds AWESOME on the radio! Every time I say it, it remind me of Coln. Kilgore... "I want some twenty mike mike vulcan right across that tree line"

-Bruce

aka frustrated flighter pilot wanna be

RV-4

Congrats on the 4!

I've been flying mine for 18 years and still love it.

On final, I use 65 KIAS with a heavy passenger, 60 KIAS solo, and 55 KIAS solo for short field.

I re-engined mine, but originally had a 150 HP O-320 and compromise prop (2350 static RPM) and you should be able to get at least 165 KIAS true when you finish the clean up.

JIM

Back