What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight N174MR

Capflyer

Well Known Member
At 10:30 EST this morning N174MR made its maiden flight. Other than my prop showing 3850 RPMs (I'll have to fix something there), the plane flew as expected...PERFECTLY! Two of my flying club buddies flew chase in a Cardinal and filmed some but it was difficult for them to keep up and I lapped them a few times. With the new engine it was best to keep it around 75%. The day was perfect for test flights. Clear with no winds and no turbulence.

After the flight I did a complete inspection of the aircraft. The plane was in perfect shape, had no leaks and nothing loose. After some lunch I took her up for a second flight.

It was interesting doing the test flights here in the DC ADIZ. I had to call Potomac Approach on the phone because of our flight of two that had to be cleared by security. I got the squawk code and my wingman was told to put his transponder on standby. He was very nervous about doing that but he has it on tape. No F15's or Blackhawks showed up so I think he's in the clear.

Special Thank You to some folks out there: Stein and Jed at Steinair, The good folks at GRT, Mahlon at Mattituck, Doug Reeves for VAF, all the people that take the time to participate in the forums here, and all the RVers out there that have taken the time to put together construction websites - they are invaluable!

Here it is on video http://youtube.com/watch?v=yyaY6F2JsSs

dsc02732gz2.jpg

Last edited:
Great....

........news, Mike. Didn't I tell you that you wouldn't have any problem with the -7?

Mike has a great touch and is a thinker as well.

Congratulations,

Congratulations Mike!!!!

Wishing you a successful Phase I fly-off period.

Best,
Doug

PS: Nice cap!

Last edited:
Great Job!

It must feel great!

Just finishing the empennage and waiting on the wings to arrive I can't even imagine the feeling... I can't wait.

Again, great job!! :)

Great job!

Mike,

Congrats from the gang at SteinAir!! I'm sure Stein will join in with his own message. I hope to be doing my first flight soon.

First Flight

Congrats Mike! Now the fun begins. Hard to believe you are flying since it wasn't too long ago that you were putting on the engine and fitting the wings. Gives hope to us still building.

... Bill

Well Done Mike! I know you've put a LOT of work into that thing, and the CONGRATULATIONS is well deserved. I know everyone here enjoyed working with you.

If anyone cares.....I know Mike did a lot of the raw electrical design and fabrication work in the plane himself and made a few changes over the span of building his plane. He's done a lot of homework and legwork on getting that thing done....probably more than most so that alone is quite a task.

Keep everyone posted on how she flies and be safe. :)

Cheers,
Stein

P.S......nice panel! ;)

Back