What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight for RV-7A N527DL

roadrunner20

Well Known Member
Three years, 1634 slow build hours, 2 cross country moves, Kit# 71234 became an airplane today on 7/8/2006. N527DL flew straight with no issues. I was waiting for the infamous heavy wing, but it never happened. Weighing in at 1034 lbs without paint or wheel pants, all systems were normal with no corrections required. Flying behind the Superior XP-IO-360 with horizontal induction, 3-blade Catto prop , Dynon EFIS, GRT EIS4000, it just leaped off the runway. What a thrill!

Thanks to my wonderful wife Nann for being so supportive, my twin boys Drew & Mike for always helping Dad when he needed a bucking buddy. Thanks to Van?s for a great kit, Van?s Air Force/Yahoo forum for always helping out with quick support. A special thanks to Dan Checkoway for a fabulous website which I frequented many times over the last 3 years.
I know it?s been said many times but, ?keep bucking those rivets?, it?s well worth it and the 7 is a true joy to fly. :D

The Grin

Congratulations! If you're like me, all you have to do for the RV grin now is just look at the plane. I was amazed at how differently the -7 flies than the -6. It seems much more "stable".

You did a good job of keeping the weight down too.

See ya next year at OSH!

Bob

goosebumps still!!

Yes,
Congratulations just seem like such an understatement! We just flew last November and have 100 hours now........what a thrill. Kindly give my regards to wifey and a hug for the twins, :D

Way to go! Provide us some pictures when you get a chance. Always like to see others planes!

Congrats!!

Hey, your first builder entry is 2/10/2003. I guess we can round down and call that 3 years. :)

Dave

YEAH!

Way to go Dan!

You really picked up speed on the project in the last few months! I can't wait to get a look at it! If you fly it to CLW be sure to let me know!

Bruce

Davepar said:
Congrats!!

Hey, your first builder entry is 2/10/2003. I guess we can round down and call that 3 years. :)

Dave

I had about 4 months of no build time moving from Tampa to Vegas and back.
There was even one incident when I was moving from Vegas and had to put it in storage. I rolled the fuselage minus the wings about a mile down the road. The Vegas police stopped me and asked "Is that your plane?" We had a good laugh and we moved on to the storage unit.

wingtime said:
Way to go Dan!

You really picked up speed on the project in the last few months! I can't wait to get a look at it! If you fly it to CLW be sure to let me know!

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
I may use it to commute to work to the taxcollector in downtown Clearwater.
I'll let you know when I get down there. If the weather holds up I may be down there on Thursday or Friday. If that doesn't work, I'll try Sat morning.

Thanks everyone.
It's great going to the airport with the ability to fly. It's a really different mindset from the past few years. I went up tonight, my 3rd flight, climbed to 5500, 2300 rpm and was reading 145kts gps with no wind. Not bad without fairings and wheel pants. My Cherokee never saw that speed.

I'll post some real numbers once I get into some more structured testing this weekend

Back