What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First engine start!

jbagley

Well Known Member
Getting close to a first flight!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfgOPVNvZqg

The only hangup was the lack of any oil pressure indication. I knew it was only an indicator when the hobbs meter started kicking on. We cranked the engine with the mags off to debug this little problem before starting. A mechanical oil pressure gauge was reading nearly 50psi with just the starter cranking the engine. So, we ran the engine for about 2 minutes. All the other engine instruments appear to be indicating fine, but no oil pressure.

I suppose it's either the sender or the gauge itself. I'll dig into it tomorrow.

CONGRATS!

Another major step! We're coming up to the same point on our 6A project!

Best of luck.

Nice

James

Congrats on the first engine start. Looks like a really nice aircraft. Good luck with the first flight.

oil pressure sender

Is the oil pressure sender grounded to the airframe or the engine mount, if not that's the problem.

It's grounded to the firewall. It's a good ground and i've verified the connection to the gauge. Either the sender is bad or the gauge is bad. Both have been sitting for quite a long time (10 years).

Neither part is all that expensive so I am thinking i'll just get new ones from Van's and replace one at a time and test. The question is how to test without starting the engine (though that's an option). The easy thing to do is ground the magnetos and run the starter until I have oil pressure. But, i'm wondering if maybe a bike pump could be used to create pressure; kinda like what you use for testing the fuel tanks. Any thoughts?

Instrument testing

I initially tested my instruments by disconnecting hoses to the engine then applying air pressure into the hose.

Back